Hot temperatures are bothering my hens....

chix212

In the Brooder
May 8, 2015
I have read many tips on how to keep chickens cool during hot weather but my brahmas are still panting and keeping there wings away from them...i have 2 waterers with cool water and ice inside. i also have a mud bath puddle for them, a wading pool and cold fruits/veggies. My other chickens love this and are doing fine but my brahmas are having trouble. I also installed a small fan in there coop. I wet the area in and around the coop. My girls are free range so they have access to shady areas but since it is there first hot season they haven't learned the cool down tricks. Any ideas or tips?

Welcome to our forum!

Sounds like you are already doing several things. Shade and breeze are the primary tools. I fun a box fan all summer and have a very open air coop. Depending on your setup, you may want to change a coop wall or section of wall to hardware cloth;

One thing you can do is make a sort of air conditioned room by setting some 5 gallon buckets (or similar) on their side and putting a frozen bottle of water inside. Sometimes an extra tarp ofer them, with space between the coop or yard and the tarp, helps also.

Here are some othe rpeople;s hot wether setups. Mybe you will see somthing that would help.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/163417/please-show-me-your-hot-weather-coops

You can freeze galloon jugs of water - sometimes the chickens like to sit near them. Misting hoses - some chickens love them, some hate them

Thx for the link! We are actually ordering a warm weather coop and run for this summer but those pics gave me some ideas for the coop we have now:) penny, pearl, gertrude, and michelle thank u for the advice!

This is penny one of my brahmas. As you can see she is very warm, she is not pale so she isn't dehydrated but i am still worried hence the reason I'm asking for tips

Back
Top Bottom