HOT WEATHER, COLD HARDY CHICKENS!

Coturnix Quail

Songster
5 Years
Jul 3, 2016
Hey! Its been getting to the 80s and even the 90s over where I live!! My chicks are only 2 months old, but they are sitting under the coop, so thats good. But, some of my chicks are cold hardy and have a lot of feathers! I'm especially concerned for my Blue Cochin!! She has a LOT of feathers! I gave them a shallow tray of ice cold water, just in case. But my main question is: how do I keep them from getting over-heated!

Shade and fresh cold water throughout the day is what I do. We don't get really hot like some places do. When it gets over 85 here my chickens will pant and hold their wings out to cool off.

You can fill small baby pools with water or put the sprinklers on. You could also keep putting ice cubes in the water. Good Luck!:thumbsup

I use old 2 liters to make giant ice cubes. They don't melt as fast. I was thinking about getting a mister hose but wasn't sure if they would like that or avoid it.
Is panting bad? I know it cools them down but their lungs are delicate... I'm hot looking at them pant away in the shade.

I use old 2 liters to make giant ice cubes. They don't melt as fast. I was thinking about getting a mister hose but wasn't sure if they would like that or avoid it.
Is panting bad? I know it cools them down but their lungs are delicate... I'm hot looking at them pant away in the shade.
There is panting and than there's stressful panting. Generally panting is a good thing. Things to watch for is combs getting blue or purple, or staring and staggering, otherwise they should be okay. You can always run a fan on them too. Most chickens don't like getting wet, and I don't like to encourage damp ground, so I'm unsure about the misting, though some do it.

My worry with a fan is the dust. I had the big man door open to the coop today so hopefully that helped. We have no breeze to speak of.
I think mostly they are having a hard time because we didn't have gradual temp changes. It was 63 last Tuesday June 6th. Down to 49 last Friday June 9th. Then it jumped into the 80's! Hopefully they will regulate a little better once the tempatures smooth out.

They should, I haven't lost any to heat, though we don't often get past 90. In areas it gets hotter chickens can suffer heat stroke. They should acclimate.

I have a quick quistion... My chicken hatched 9 eggs they have there food and water and pretty good temputure but 1 chick is really small compared to the others he keeps getting thrown when the mom scrapes the floor and sometimes he gets thrown and bearly can get up the 1st time i saw them they all looked great today he was smaller weaker i made him a lil box but it keeps chirping it wont go to sleep unless i hold it should i give it a buddy please help

Back
Top Bottom