Hotline Electric Fencing Advice

Becky2009

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2020
Hi there,

I have purchased a 50m Hotline electric fence to keep my chickens safe as they free-range and wondered whether you have to complete the circuit with the pole you start with and last, connecting to the energiser? Can I just connect one end to the energiser with the metal clip? The layout of my space won't allow me to make a full circuit so really hope this is possible.

Thanks to anyone that is able to advise..

Becky

I’m installing a 30m American Farm Works right now. All the power sources I’ve seen are the same. The circuit does not have to be complete. The red pole is for the fence and the black or green pole goes to the ground rod.

Hi there,

I have purchased a 50m Hotline electric fence to keep my chickens safe as they free-range and wondered whether you have to complete the circuit with the pole you start with and last, connecting to the energiser? Can I just connect one end to the energiser with the metal clip? The layout of my space won't allow me to make a full circuit so really hope this is possible.

Thanks to anyone that is able to advise..

Becky
No, you do not connect the second end to the charger. The earth connects the circuit through the critter that touches the fence.
Make sure you ground the charger correctly.

I sunk 2 copper rods down 6' and 6' apart. These rods are jumpered together with the same insulated lead out wire you use under gates and to connect the ground contact on the charger to the first ground rod.

Thank you, really appreciate your help. I have another question - I ordered 50m and this is much larger than I need. Will it still work as an electric fence if I doubled up with some of the lengths to make this shorter?

It doesn’t matter. Many people will run three wires around their coop/run. Two near the bottom and one at the top of the run. But, just do as you have planned, it will be fine.

I just ran two lines around my set up. One is about 6” off the ground and the top one is about 18”. As I said earlier, I bought a 30m charger but my total length with both strands is only 280 ft.

Back
Top Bottom