houdan needs a shampoo !

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chixbvs, Jul 27, 2008.

1. chixbvs

chixbvs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    We have a pet quality Houdan - her head feathers all lean to one side, covering her eye (like a pirate). So following a suggestion on this web site, gave all the hens yogurt yesterday (they loved it) but of course Spot dipped her head feathers in it while eating. Needless to say, today she is a mess, with feathers, dirt, and shavings now stuck to her head. So the question is - shampoo her head , leave her be, or just give up and cut it off (the feathers, not her head)? and- how to bath a chicken ? Do chickens like to be bathed ?(new to chickens) Thanks in advance for your help !

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I would give her a hair cut. Trim back from her eyes and open up her face. Then wash what is left. She'll feel like a new woman. [​IMG]

3. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    I gave my girls yogurt too and they made a big mess! All of them now have sticky heads! They are still just in their coop (ony 6 wks old) so nothing is sticking to them. I guess I would trim her up too if it was getting all nasty.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'd go ahead clip and wash. She'll be able to see, avoid being picked on by others, and be happier over all due to her whole new view of the world.

5. chixbvs

chixbvs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    I guess we'll chicken "stylist" to my resume ! Thanks for the advice !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by