Hours of light

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tadyergey, Sep 19, 2011.

1. tadyergey

tadyergey Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    Nokesville, VA
    My Coop
    How many hours of light do the ladies need to keep laying? When should I add artificial light to keep them laying thorough the winter?

2. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    I read 12-14 hours. Hubby just trenched to put power and water at the coop. Im hanging a 4 foot fluorescent light in there this weekend and a timer to turn it on at about 4:30am and off at 3pm so they have a natural dusk and go to bed time. All the neighborhood roo's start making a racket at 4:30am no matter if it is light or not so it seems a good time for that. Good luck with your efforts!

3. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Quote:x2

I have read that you need to let them go to bed naturally and not suddenly. I will be adding light soon too, I don't want to lose my egg production completely. I will not tell my son they will start crowing so early now [​IMG] I don't think I will keep the lights on all day unless it is cloudy for several days, that just seems to costly... chickens are supposed to be cheap to keep [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by