House came with a different looking coop

Where are you located???? You definitely have some ventilation going. ;) What direction is that coop facing? Not much protection from blowing weather.... unless you HAVE NO blowing weather....
I would change out that Chicken Wire for hardware cloth. Chicken wire isnt much protection from predators.
Yes, definitely swap that chicken wire for hardware cloth. Even a chihuahua could probably bust through chicken wire! The actual size of the coop is pretty big! It looks like the roost bars are next to the nesting boxes?

I think chickens could get into those nesting boxes, but personally I'd lower them just a bit. There's no real need for them to be *that* high. Plus, they are higher than the roost bars! That means the chickens would probably try to sleep in the nest boxes. Also as others said, lower the nipple waterer a lot! It needs to be maybe around 8-12" off the ground for chickens, but that would still be too high if you ever wanted to hatch baby chicks. If the water set up still works, I'd try to use it, but you could always disregard the original system and try something else.

How long has it been since chickens lived there? Personally I'd deep clean and sanitize as best as I could. I'd be worried about disease among the old flock... some diseases can live in the soil for a long time.

Odd placements of everything, but maybe it worked for them.
Any idea how long they had chickens...or what ever they had in there?

If you're handy would be pretty easy to rearrange things.
That watering system is not going to work in the winter.
I'm guessing they built in an 'L' shape to go around the tree.

I live in Utah!
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1619012773744.png

Yes, definitely swap that chicken wire for hardware cloth. Even a chihuahua could probably bust through chicken wire! The actual size of the coop is pretty big! It looks like the roost bars are next to the nesting boxes?

I think chickens could get into those nesting boxes, but personally I'd lower them just a bit. There's no real need for them to be *that* high. Plus, they are higher than the roost bars! That means the chickens would probably try to sleep in the nest boxes. Also as others said, lower the nipple waterer a lot! It needs to be maybe around 8-12" off the ground for chickens, but that would still be too high if you ever wanted to hatch baby chicks. If the water set up still works, I'd try to use it, but you could always disregard the original system and try something else.

How long has it been since chickens lived there? Personally I'd deep clean and sanitize as best as I could. I'd be worried about disease among the old flock... some diseases can live in the soil for a long time.
They had hens a few years back, I’m not sure for how long or why they stopped but they have just been using it as a storage shed ever since the got rid of the chickens.

That's an unusual sort of open air coop, but, as others have said, should be readily adaptable.

You might add more sheltering walls to whichever side/end the winter winds will come from while leaving the south-facing sections as wire. Chickens tolerate cold well as long as they have good ventilation and shelter from the wind.

Back
Top Bottom