1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

House chicken question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bammony, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    I brought my silkie pullet inside because her whole crest was ice. I brought her in to let her crest thaw and then dry, but then I got busy and thought, "I'll take her out tomorrow". She's been in our warm house for about a week now and my question is.....will taking her from a warm house and putting her back into -0 temps harm her in any way? or does she get to stay inside for the rest of winter with us?

2. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    It probably hasn't been "good" to keep her in for a week...it will be somewhat of a shock to her to put her out in cold temps. Can you wait for a week of "mild" temps before reintroducing her?

3. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    Absolutely. Let's see.....that'll be in March!!!!! WOO HOO! Maybe I'll just get to have a house silkie for the winter. [​IMG]

4. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    My feeling is that it's just as uncomfortable and just as harmful as it is for you. If she really needs to be outside, chuck her out. She probably won't like you much, but she'll probably be o.k. If you've had any illnesses, then leave her inside. My main concern when I reintroduce one is the picking.

5. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Quote:I would keep her inside. But anytime you do re-introduce her, it will be an adjustment. Pecking, etc, will have to be watched no matter when you put her back with the rest of your flock.

6. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    She is use to the warm house so I would reintroduce her gradually.
    Maybe put her out for a feww hours the warmest part of the day for a few days and then all day for a few days and then leave her out to see how she does.

7. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    These silkies usually don't peck other birds. Their crests are so big they can't see much. My pullet is part of a trio. The temp thing is what I'm mostly worried about. I have no reservations at all about keeping her inside all winter. It's kinda fun sitting on the couch reading and hearing chicken sounds come from the boys' room. She is such a sweety. I should get a pic of her to show ya'll. [​IMG]

8. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    My house chicken probably won't get back outside until sometime in April. Thought about making diapers so she could walk around the house, but then she would want to start sitting in my recliner. Then she'd be hoggin' the remote. Whew, just can't risk it. Guess she'll have to stay in the cage.

9. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    LOL! @ Opa. I thought about the whole diaper thing but just can't see myself doing it. I did have a baby goat wearing diapers and living in the house for 2 weeks befre. It was fun sitting down for dinner in the kitchen and then having a goat poke her head up over a half wall we have between the front room and kitchen and begin maaing for me. Too cute!

10. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Our house chicken has adjusted well to indoor life so far, we bought a chicken diaper for her. We have taken her out during the warm parts of the day a few times but she still shivers. We are waiting until spring before trying to let her go back out with her pen mates. I rather like having her indoors and our cats keep her company.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by