1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

House Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by spitfirecream15, Dec 3, 2014.

1. spitfirecream15

spitfirecream15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2014
    In the Boondocks
    Is it a good idea to have a house chicken? I've heard yes and no so many times that it can be a bit confusing!
    I've got a part-time house chicken. She sleeps inside and sometimes will hang out in the house in her special-order cage but a lot of the time she's outside with the flock. She's partly blind, is a year old, and is terrified of other chickens. She hasn't laid any eggs yet and she is very quiet. Most of the time when she's outside she won't interact with the other hens and she runs from the rooster. She seems happy inside but she does like her dust baths and also enjoys hunting for bugs in the grass (although she misses half of them because she can't see them). She is addicted to ketchup and other things that chickens probably shouldn't eat and she likes watching tv. But I don't know, does she belong outside with her fellow chickens or is it okay for her to be inside? I've heard of house chickens who live in dog crates inside and that's not good because chickens need to be chickens but Picasso (that's my chicken's name and yes she does paint) is different, she doesn't WANT to be outside! At least not most of the time.
    There's a good post on this blog that I follow here: http://hencam.com/henblog/2011/04/house-chickens/
    Every chicken is different, some are better suited to living inside, but some may like to be inside. Still, I guess it's debatable. So, is it a good idea to have a house chicken?

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
  3. spitfirecream15

spitfirecream15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2014
    In the Boondocks
    Thanks! There were some awesome pics on there. I scanned it quickly when I have more time I will sit down and actually read it but it looks great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by