House Chickens

spitfirecream15

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 3, 2014
In the Boondocks
Is it ok to have a house chicken?
I have an Old English Game banty cross who is a part time house chicken. She likes her dust baths outside and enjoys hunting bugs in the grass (although she misses half of them because she’s partly blind) but she also likes watching tv. She sleeps inside during the winter and will sometimes go out if it’s not too cold. In the summer she is a strict outdoors chicken. She has a ketchup obsession and likes popcorn and movies. She’s a year old but she hasn’t laid any eggs yet. She is afraid of chickens. She refuses to interact with my hens and runs in terror from my rooster. But this spring she adopted these chickens, when they were little baby orphans, and raised them all on her own! Still she’s scared of them now. She’s also very slow and is never in a hurry. She likes to look dogs in the eye and has visiously attacked my Labradoodle more than once.
But should chickens live indoors? Chickens still need to be chickens. I’ve heard of people who have a chicken or two locked up in a tiny dog crate in their house, and that’s not good. But some chickens, if they have a decent cage and get to go out at least once in a while, are well suited to living in the house. Other chickens are just meant to be outside. Picasso (that’s my chicken’s name and yes she does paint) has always loved people more than chickens. When she was just a few weeks old and living with her mother and siblings, she would seek me out and beg for attention. That’s why she’s been living in the house off and on, because she craves love and attention. But like I said, some chickens are not meant to be inside. Here’s a good post from a blog I follow on house chickens: http://hencam.com/henblog/2011/04/house-chickens/
So what is you opion on house chickens?

Hi, although your post is old, I thought I'd reply anyway. I have a hen now who loves to be in the house with me. She is the only chicken I have because she just showed up at my house one day. She gets to free range in my yard all day, and will hunt for bugs and take a dust bath, but then she prefers to come back in. She roosts on top of the dining room table at night. She got along really well with my dog who just passed and my two cats. I absolutely adore her. She is so funny and smart. I would like to get a couple of more hens so she has a more chicken-y life, but I don't own my house. How did it work out with your house chicken? Do you still have her?
Is it ok to have a house chicken?
I have an Old English Game banty cross who is a part time house chicken. She likes her dust baths outside and enjoys hunting bugs in the grass (although she misses half of them because she’s partly blind) but she also likes watching tv. She sleeps inside during the winter and will sometimes go out if it’s not too cold. In the summer she is a strict outdoors chicken. She has a ketchup obsession and likes popcorn and movies. She’s a year old but she hasn’t laid any eggs yet. She is afraid of chickens. She refuses to interact with my hens and runs in terror from my rooster. But this spring she adopted these chickens, when they were little baby orphans, and raised them all on her own! Still she’s scared of them now. She’s also very slow and is never in a hurry. She likes to look dogs in the eye and has visiously attacked my Labradoodle more than once.
But should chickens live indoors? Chickens still need to be chickens. I’ve heard of people who have a chicken or two locked up in a tiny dog crate in their house, and that’s not good. But some chickens, if they have a decent cage and get to go out at least once in a while, are well suited to living in the house. Other chickens are just meant to be outside. Picasso (that’s my chicken’s name and yes she does paint) has always loved people more than chickens. When she was just a few weeks old and living with her mother and siblings, she would seek me out and beg for attention. That’s why she’s been living in the house off and on, because she craves love and attention. But like I said, some chickens are not meant to be inside. Here’s a good post from a blog I follow on house chickens: http://hencam.com/henblog/2011/04/house-chickens/
So what is you opion on house chickens?

Just curious... how do you all deal with the droppings inside? Do you have like a tray or something where they roost? I've been wondering if chickens have more bowel control than other birds, since they never go in the nest box when broody, for example. Has anyone ever litter trained a chicken?

I don't think chickens have more bowel control than any other bird. Some people seem to be able to train their chicken to use a litter box, though. My hen seems to be very intelligent and I probably could train her to do something like that. I have a diaper for her, but I don't use it often. You probably shouldn't use it if they are molting, because I think their bodies are sensitive at that time and the less they are handled then the better. My chicken is allowed to wander in and out of the house at will and she just likes to hang out with me inside a lot. I use pee pee pads in spots that are difficult to clean. Otherwise, I just clean up the poop. It's pretty easy to clean it from hardwood floors.

Back
Top Bottom