House Ducks?

LilMissChz

Songster
7 Years
Feb 16, 2012
North East, Maryland
Anyone keep their ducks inside the house at night? We have a nice dog crate that I think would be perfect. So far they have already learned where the dog food and water is. How hard would it be to have a duck in the house at night? Am I crazy? Ducky diapers? I just lost 2 chickens to predators and my ducks are more pets than the chickens. Ideas, suggestions? Anyone else have house ducks?

I keep my duck Soleil as a house duck. She wears diapers and sleeps in a large dog kennel at night.During the day we will go outside to play in the yard and a kiddie pool but then we come back in when we are done playing. If you are planning to keep ducks inside at night only I wouldn't bother with the diapers. I don't keep her diaper on at night yet, we need better diapers before that can happen hah

I have a large dog kennel that I just switched them to. They are already outgrowing the brooder box. One is bigger than the other but they both seem to have more room in the bigger kennel. How often do you change your duck's diapers. How does it mind them?

I have a large dog kennel that I just switched them to. They are already outgrowing the brooder box. One is bigger than the other but they both seem to have more room in the bigger kennel. How often do you change your duck's diapers. How does it mind them?
I had a duckling in the house last year for 3 months, he didn't wear his diaper at night, he slept in an Xlarge dog crate the plastic kind, and i screwed a board over the front just high enough to keep the shaving inside the crate but where he could still get out. Every day i would stir the shavings and spray the crate down with Oxine ah did not put food or water inside the crate, that was on the floor right outside of the crate. He did wear his diaper during the day when inside though, it has to be changed frequently because they poop alot. as you probably know by now. lol

After what happened to Louie's buddy Huey last year while they were outside, he became a house duck. He would sit anywhere there was a mirror (so he could see the "other" duck, I suppose, lol), so I just kept one leaned against the wall with a towel in front for him to sit on (and poop on) and his food & water next to it. When I'd get home from work and sit down to eat dinner and watch TV, he'd sit on his blanket on the couch with me, usually for the rest of the evening, even if I got up to do something else. At night, I'd plop him in the bathub (luckily I have two, so one was all his). So, lots of laundry, some mopping, and rinsing out the bathtub every few days...I felt it was totally worth it to have him inside with me. <3 It was super fun to watch him fly through the house too.
I did always declare that I couldn't handle two ducks' worth of poop in my house though, and these two new babies are proving me right, lol. Of course they don't sit in one place for very long like Louie would, so there's a LOT more mopping and scrubbing. Hopefully very soon I'll get moved and be able to build them a really secure aviary with a pond outside - I think they'll enjoy that a lot.

No house ducks here but I have a house goose, definitely get your diapers from thegoosesmother.com, I've tried a bunch and like those ones the best! Also the time from ordering to the diapers being in my hands is about one week.

Dog crates work great until they can wear the diaper overnight, it's smooth sailing from there on out (we just hit that age with my goose) and you won't notice any mess or odor in your home.

Definitely get them used to the diapers as young as possible, my girl wears hers without batting an eye. Thank goodness, because she poops A LOT. LOL

Outside time is good for them too, my girl goes out for at least some time every day, rain or shine. Also green grass = nice firm poopies, whereas lettuce and other watery veggies = BLEH
sickbyc.gif

Thank you so much! I am going to order to diaper harness. I'm starting with the larger, older duck first and then later will order one for the baby. Even though it seems that we will have them outside as much as possible. However, I want to be prepared to have them indoors.

Back
Top Bottom