House Quail (Northern Bobwhite) limping, could I be doing something wrong?

Quail lady

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 25, 2013
Adelaide
Hi all,
I have a 6month old very tame Bobwhite female (rules the house) and we have just come back from a short trip (she came along in the car too). She is in good spirits, eating well, tending to her feathers, stretching etc but standing on only one leg and limping around on the other. I've had a good feel of her leg and it doesn't appear broken and I don't believe it is possible for her to have hurt it in the few hours while I was out at dinner... I put her in her rabbit hutch and turned out the light. She was fine when I left but when I came home and woke her up because I caught a moth on my way in she was lame... Her diet consists of raw oats mainly, bird seed mix and fresh kale, broccoli and rocket and garden bugs (caterpillars, aphids and moths). It's Winter here in Australia and I know birds should sleep more than 8 hours a night but is it possible that I'm not feeding her correctly and or 8 hours of sleep a night is insufficient? Or that an average of 15 to 20 mins a day of outside time (proper sunlight) is not enough?
Should I just sit tight and see if it's just a sprain from stumbling around in the dark or can anyone see where I'm going gravely wrong?
I know I might sound silly but she's a special little bird to us.
Thanks a bunch

Welcome to BYC!

I posted to your question in the quail section of the forums. I think you will get more info there being that this is a quail question. :)

Back
Top Bottom