Household cure for mites??

kristenm1975

Songster
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
Seattle, WA
I've run out of DE for the moment and can't get to the feed store to buy some more for at least another week. I checked on a setting hen I have and found tiny white/cream colored mites all over her, but especially by her tail.

Is there anything that might be just sitting around the house that would help her with that?

Thank you!!

How about putting some mouthwash in a spray bottle, get some of the mites onto something, like a black piece of paper and spray them and see if it affects them?
If it looks like it might work, you could sort of rub her feathers the wrong way and spray her skin to dampen it and hopefully that would buy her time. I would not saturate her and I would only try a small area first to make sure she is okay with it.

Take a small spray bottle (like one of those old perfume bottles of say bath splash or scented water?) and mix it half and half with mouth wash and baby oil... spray liberally. Try to avoid getting any in the vent, it burns a bit! But that will help you tremendously!

Can you get ahold of any wood ashes from a fireplace? They sort of act like DE. I put them in the nesting box and on the chickens.

Wow, that you for the awesome suggestions! I can sure do those.

While I waited for an answer, I emptied out the nest boxes, sprayed them with Lysol, and then put in all new pine shavings.

We had a big bonfire a couple of weeks ago, and I'll bet there's a nice pile of ashes so I'll start on that first thing in the morning.

It's mostly my poor Welsummer that's affected at the moment. She's been broody for a month, so I think she's just not taking time to dust bathe like the others. She stands in the yard and stomps her feet really fast and loud, like she's tap dancing, and then reaches around to dig into the feathers towards the rear. I know they must be driving her crazy! Still, I'd like to catch her "dance routine" on video just once.
gig.gif

I've really only had problems with my caged hens, that were already compromised with some other problem. Your nestbox might have gotten them from the broody hen staying in a confined spot so long.
So get those wood ashes in that nest box and that should help.

WoW LynneP, That sounds like a perfect preventitive.... something im heading to store for unless i hear differently.. So far, my chicks are clean as a whistle. LOVE to keem them that way... thanks

Thank you for all the suggestions. Looks like pests may be spreading to us too. First thing this morning, while brushing my teeth, I saw a tiny black hopper of some sort in the hair above my ear.
sickbyc.gif
hit.gif

Not good news. The critters I saw on my setting hen were tiny, darting white things, so I'm hoping this black one on me is just a flea from my flea-bag pup.
fl.gif
The last thing on earth I need is lice or something disgusting and difficult to remove. Ugh.

Thank God, I found this list. My chickens, again, have mites and or lice. I am going to DE them tomorrow and then bathe them on Saturday cuz I have to do something asap and still have to go to work.

The vinegar and water in the bath sound divine. I am going to use castile soap.

It is really difficult to find natural solutions. I did use ivermectin last year for the mites and it killed them but I am not sure if the chickens stopped laying from the molt or the ivermectin!!

thanks for all of you!!!!

Pat & Peeps

Back
Top Bottom