housing ducks

EZFarms

Songster
10 Years
Nov 23, 2013
northern california
I have two Muscovys, two Oregon and a goose who live why chickens but are making a good awful need. I wanna give them their own house but i need to know what they need? The temps are down to single digits here at night so so they need an insulated house or just somewhere that isn't wet?

I have two Muscovys, two Oregon and a goose who live why chickens but are making a good awful need. I wanna give them their own house but i need to know what they need? The temps are down to single digits here at night so so they need an insulated house or just somewhere that isn't wet?
It doesn't have to be insulated just safe and secure and not drafty. it needs good ventilation up around the top of the roof for moisture to escape ducks/chickens/geese make alot of moisture through breathing and they will need fresh air for a few small windows facing south. I have old used windows in my houses and I keep the tops open facing south. This gives them some fresh air but the breeze isn't coming right in on them.

I have four ducks. I'm using an extra large dogloo and an extra large wood shed-type dog house for my ducks.

One was supposed to be a nesting box and one the other was supposed to be a shelter to get out of terrible weather.

The dogloo has built in ventilation at the top.

They mostly sleep out in the weather or on the ramp that goes to their pond.

I have four ducks. I'm using an extra large dogloo and an extra large wood shed-type dog house for my ducks.

One was supposed to be a nesting box and one the other was supposed to be a shelter to get out of terrible weather.

The dogloo has built in ventilation at the top.

They mostly sleep out in the weather or on the ramp that goes to their pond.
You must not have predators @cayugaducklady

I have lots of potential predators... raptors, coons, snakes, bobcats, bears, who knows what else. Their doghouses are inside a completely enclosed dog kennel. There's a second layer of wire on the top of the kennel and there's a layer of hardware cloth from my chest height all the way down to make a skirt on the ground :).

If something can get through their enclosure there isn't much else I could do to prevent it.

I have lots of potential predators... raptors, coons, snakes, bobcats, bears, who knows what else. Their doghouses are inside a completely enclosed dog kennel. There's a second layer of wire on the top of the kennel and there's a layer of hardware cloth from my chest height all the way down to make a skirt on the ground :).

If something can get through their enclosure there isn't much else I could do to prevent it.
Sounds like Ft. Knox
thumbsup.gif

Not quite yet :). I still need to install security cameras to make sure a person couldn't wreck havoc inside my duck haven. But that is an overly complex infrastructure project for us because we need to run electricity down there. We have 0 outside outlets here.

Back
Top Bottom