housing/heat lamp question for my R.P., who I affectionately call Dinner

surfsup

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 25, 2014
I'm completely new to poultry, so my questions may be a little obvious to some. My pet turkey (Dinner) is about 10 mo old, and I live in Southern California. Do I need to provide some type of heat source in the coop? I expect the temperatures to get down into the mid 20's. The right side of the coop has an area that's mostly enclosed, but as you can see, it has openings. I'm going to add more plywood to seal it up a little. But my main question is, do I need to provide a heat lamp? I figure these guys naturally live in much colder areas

Dinner sleeps on the upper right side at night, my labrador (Slate) sleeps below. My goat (Mica) is supposed to sleep in the house to the left, although, I usually find the dog and goat snuggled up together. They all free roam around my 20 acres throughout the day.

One day while I was working, he kept pecking and getting into my way, so I started calling him Dinner.

No heat lamp is needed or recommended. Make sure his retreat is a draft free as possible and that he has access to liquid water at least several times a day.

Thank you, I'm going to seal things up. I have water and food available at all times.

Back
Top Bottom