Housing Heavy Breeds in cages?

materum

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
In the two books Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens and The Chicken Health Handbook, Gail Damerow says not to raise heavy breeds in cages ("Do not house heavy breeds on wire"), but she never gives a reason as to why its bad to do so. Why shouldn't I raise heavy breeds on wire, or does it really matter?

The reason I am asking is because I am thinking of raising some chickens back at UC Berkeley during the school year, where I live in an apartment. Because I live in an apartment, if I were to get chickens, I would have to house them in cages for at least a large bulk of the day. Granted, I would let them out a lot, but even then I would still have to house them in cages for much of the time. If it helps at all to know, my intention is to raise 3-4 black Australorp chicks, which from my understanding is a heavy breed.

Last edited:
Any recommendations on how to house them then in an apartment setting without using cages?

build a solid bottomed stacked cage maybe?

make it with removable poo trays or something...where are you planning on keeping the cages?

are you sure you're even allowed to raise chickens at your apartment?

My intention was to keep the brooder and cages in my room of the apartment. I might have access to a porch, but Im not exactly sure about that, so Im just planning on housing them inside most of the time, with the occasional outing to a park or something (thinking about trying to convert chicken diaper plans to a sort of leash
tongue.png
). Also, after reading up about bumblefoot I was also thinking about a solid bottomed stacked cage, so props to thee. Lastly, from what I understand, my apartment managers allow pets into the apartment, so most likely; I think I should be able to convince them that housing chickens wont cause any problems, though I'll be sure to let you guys know whats up once I find out
smile.png

- Mark M.

IMHO

You are making a big mistake if you think you can raise 4 hens INSIDE a house or appartment. They just produce more waste and smell than you will be able to handle. Trust me you will be working al the time in keeping the smell down and there living area clean enough to live with.

Not trying to be neagative here..... just chickens are considered live stock.... not pets. I suspect that there are serious health issues even for you living in a small appartment with the gases that are produce from chickens.

Sorry... just not a healthy situation

sad.png

Hi there,

Chickens generate a huge amount of dust. If you keep them in your apartment, all of you stuff will be coated. It is a very fine particulate dust...our basement, where we brood chicks up to a few weeks of age, will get a 1/4 inch layer of this dust. I believe it is from the chickens themselves and not related to the cleanliness of the bedding. You could invest in an air filter...

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom