Housing Meaties

Quote:
For 13 birds, you can make the tractor as small as you need to. I'd go with something like 8x8 if you have the room, so you can fit more in next time, but right now I have 75 of them in a 10x10 tractor. Get them out of the garage ASAP- once they get more than a couple of weeks old, you WILL be able to smell them from inside the house if they are in your attached garage!

Quote:
If you want to make it sturdier, use hardware cloth instead of chicken wire. However, DON'T put it on the floor. You will be moving the tractor at least every day, and by the end, even with 13 birds, you will be lifting an extra 130 pounds if you have them closed in on the bottom! I hate moving mine if there is rain covering the tarp- let alone that extra weight every time!

Quote:
Actually, I'd put the light closer. I go about 18 inches at the most for the height of my lights to start. They'll get to where it's comfortable. Two feet is a good height for the walls of your tractor.

Quote:
Yes you will notice a difference. Some people say they are tough but I don't think they are tough but firm no mushy like commercial chicken. The closer you eat to the food chain (know what goes into your food) the better off we are in my opinion. I was raised on cooking from scratch and have continued that in my family. The first year isn't bad but next year will be even better.

Hi, there. Fellow Okie here. For predators digging, take a look at the tractor in this post...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261965

I have dogs to protect mine, but if I was worried about it, I would use hardware cloth instead of chicken wire.

Also note bigredfeather's brooder light inside of his.

And Cornish are still in the tractor and doing fine here, and will be there for at least a three more weeks.

This has been such a helpful forum! You chicken people are terrific. We built our tractor and it looks fantastic! We are going to get it painted today and move the little stinkers out of the garage tonight. I will post pics when I get it done. I am going to get a mistint from the paint store so it might be an interesting color
smile.png
I buy the cheapest thing they have.

Andrea

Back
Top Bottom