Housing quail with hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mrsengeseth, Jan 17, 2009.

1. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Can it be done safely? What do I need to keep in mind?

2. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Yes, someone on here had a picture of them together. I think they were bobwhites from the pick.

Just keep their litter really dry because they will get a disease called Ulceritive Enteritis (sp) that really messes them up. This is why a lot of quail are raised in wire pens. Really hard to raise if you live in a moist environment.

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Also remember that it takes alot smaller holes in the wire to keep quail in than it does chickens. [​IMG]

4. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    I had a cochin hen with mine.

5. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Somebody on here had a pic of their wire quail cages--ON the inside wall of the chicken coop. Maybe quail would be OK with banties, but you'd have to be careful with a big RIR or BO roo.

ETA: or any aggressive chicken for that matter. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  6. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I've had quail in wire cages with chickens. They very quickly learned to just ignore each other.

Had 35 Coturnix but I gotta tell you about the Buttons: One day, one got away from me and made a bee-line out the door of the coop. She made it about 50 feed across the yard.

An English sparrow shot out a tree and knocked the Button down in the grass [​IMG]! I shouldn't laugh but it turned out that I just walked over and picked her up.

So, if you worry about the Large Fowl and think maybe Banties would be good companions - I don't have any experience with them actually being together. But English sparrows - look out [​IMG]!!

Steve

7. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    wire cages..... ok gotcha!

8. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    I have a speckled sussex sitting on about 10 northern bobwhite quail eggs right now. Its an experiment and i have no idea how it'll turn out. My chickens free range and my house is in the middle of our 10 acres of wood which is surrounded by another several hundred acres of fields and woods...so I guess if they hatch and find better digs when they become adults then that'll be that. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by