Housing Transitions

Well, we made the transition last night - thankfully no one was there with a camera :gig - probably took me longer to get the 8 birds out of their cozy, cool "attic" than all the rest!

Our rooster (we moved him very early on) made an announcement every time we brought another hen in - he was way more riled up than the hens. And, I learned just how "blind" some of my chickens are at night - the sussex all needed me to not only put their feet on the roosts, but to curl their toes around it or they would begin to fall. But, my one of my EE hens was busy hopping down and hopping back up, looking for a perfect spot (it wasn't pitch black, but don't tell the Sussex - they were helpless!)
So, today I will have to endure the 'stink eye' as I only let them stay in the shed and the small temporary run I placed around it. Fun.

Oh. My. Goodness. There's an awful lot of fenceline pacing going on out there right now! I'm going to gonget them some corn and some hay to root through.

Hahaha! I threw a big flake of grass hay in and some scratch grains on top of it, so they've been busy obliterating it. Here's the set up.

They're still doing a bit of pacing, but it's a bit better. How long should I keep them chained to their new digs before they "bond" to it?

Hahaha! I threw a big flake of grass hay in and some scratch grains on top of it, so they've been busy obliterating it. Here's the set up.

They're still doing a bit of pacing, but it's a bit better. How long should I keep them chained to their new digs before they "bond" to it?
I'd leave them in there for at least a week or they may well go back to the other coops, which could start this procedure all over again.
Maybe add some other distractions....log sections, stumps, branches, pallet up on concrete blocks, or two pallets leaned together in a low 'A frame'.
Just be sure not to give them anything tall enough to act as a 'step up' to fly over the fencing.

Are there windows and ventilation in the coop?

I'd leave them in there for at least a week or they may well go back to the other coops, which could start this procedure all over again.
Maybe add some other distractions....log sections, stumps, branches, pallet up on concrete blocks, or two pallets leaned together in a low 'A frame'.
Just be sure not to give them anything tall enough to act as a 'step up' to fly over the fencing.

Are there windows and ventilation in the coop?

Yeah, a 2'x3' rear window, ridge vents, and a roof-top turbine vent. In summer, we will add a couple of fans to keep the air moving (it can get pretty hot here). I can find some things to put in the little run to make life more interesting. I also realize they need some things to get under for safety too. I may go get some orchard netting for the top (pretty sure we have a brand new nest of Cooper's Hawks on the property next door, and although they're a little small to give us much worry, captive chickens might be too much of a temptation.) Keep the ideas coming, I really appreciate the help!

Spent the day with them yesterday, painting. They have made 6 dust bath holes and seem to enjoy the "hunt through the hay and the wood chips to find the scratch grains" game. Egg production is still good, but I'm wondering if it will wane a bit as the week progresses.

Back
Top Bottom