1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hova Bator 1588 Temp Crisis if anyone can help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SusanJoM, Mar 24, 2013.

1. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

My Hova was in storage for a couple of years, and although I thought I had tested it before the eggs arrived, I guess I wasn't quite diligent enough. My eggs are here and have been in the bator for 24 hours now and the temp won't get above 98.?

I have read the manual and looked at the switches and I am finding both hard to understand. I only looked quickly because I didn't want to leave the top of the bator for long, but they looked contrary to what I expected them to look like. It looked like all but one of the switches were UP and the one that should be up was DOWN?
    I am guessing I was just misinterpreting the shape of the rockers and will take a high powered light and magnifier in with me when I look again.

I am going to have to attempt to change the rockers switches later this morning. If anyone has any specific pictures or information to help me I would appreciate it.

Thanks all
    Susan

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I have that old type of 1588. Those dip switches are a real pain to deal with. The new model handles that a lot better.

First off, don’t panic. It sounds like you are keeping yourself under control anyway but I’ll just mention that you have some time to deal with the problem. You don’t want to cook the eggs but if you are within a couple of degrees the first few days you’ll be fine. Those eggs are pretty tough especially the first few days.

How sure are you of the temperature in there? Did you calibrate your thermometer? Is your problem simply a question of getting an accurate measurement?

With my eyes, even with my glasses, I understand the problem of knowing what you are looking at. Read that manual again and look at those pretty pictures. If you go to the GQF web page they have instructions there but those are just what is in the instructions that came with it.

I had the problem that mine was running a bit warm, not cool. I tried following those instructions and got really frustrated. My results were all over the place. What finally worked for me was to take it back to factory settings, them instead of leaving #4 on, I left #3 on. So simple and it worked. You might try taking it to factory settings. If it is still too cool, maybe turn whatever dip switch is on to off and turn the next higher one on.

Good luck with it.

3. SusanJoM

Thanks, Ridgerunner.
    I have three thermometers in their and they all say the temp is about 98.
    I did, finally, take the top off and change the rocker switches.
    I think #4 was ON, so now #5 is ON.
    My old brain may have f***** so the #4 part might be wrong, but I do know that #5 is now on and I will keep a close eye on the temps for the next few hours.
    Doing the factory reset probably would have been the smartest move, but....if things go wonky over the next few hours I will do that next.

Now at least I know how those funny little switches actually work.
    Thanks for the help and I am going to do my best to stay calm.
    There are always more eggs.....:))))))

Susan

4. SusanJoM

Well, that is much better. The probe in the water wiggler says 99.9.
    I'm thinking we can live with that ....:))))

Susan

5. Becca727

Becca727 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2013
    Trying to get my Hova Bator was soooo frustrating. I thought I'd never get it where I wanted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by