Hova-bator..pre-Set temp..year to year ????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KYBOY, Jan 13, 2009.

1. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    Ive had my 1588 unplugged for about 5 months now..Last year the temp was good and good hatches..Have you ever had to re-adjust your temps after a long dormancy period or have they always been fine?

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Don't have any experience about this, but I can say you would want to plug it in and see if it is holding temps well. Some replace their wafers every year.

3. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    I have never had to re set mine, I dont thing the setting can change unless you mess with the rocker swiches. Im sure it is fine!

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    With a preset electronic thermostat I wouldn't think you'd have to. Different seasons and weather conditions, especially if you keep your house different temps, might require different settings. With a wafer like my hovabator has I have to adjust the temp a tiny amount each time and wafers do lose accuracy every year. I wouldn't think the electronic would have that problem though.

5. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    Well I just went ahead and set everything up..Hovering at 99.9* and 46% humidity right now..I have some BCM eggs coming in a few days and I want to make sure everything is just right..

6. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    My 1588 had been in the garage for over year when I decided to hatch again -- it's working great. My first hatch is next Monday or Tuesday, the second a week later. All the little critters in the early group are nice and spunky, moving all over the place when I put the light on them.

edited to add: the temps and humidity have only fluctuated when I've opened it and messed around

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by