Hovabator 1588 egg turner

theteacherhen

Hatching
Mar 26, 2017
Hi everyone! We are currently on Day 20 of incubation in my classroom incubator! I went over this morning to check and we have a pip :) I have been wondering for a while about the notch that is made in the hovabator for the egg turner cord. Will this notch being open let humidity escape? I have always covered it after removing the egg turner but I didn't know if it was actually necessary to do so.

Hi everyone! We are currently on Day 20 of incubation in my classroom incubator! I went over this morning to check and we have a pip
smile.png
I have been wondering for a while about the notch that is made in the hovabator for the egg turner cord. Will this notch being open let humidity escape? I have always covered it after removing the egg turner but I didn't know if it was actually necessary to do so.

Congratulations! How exciting it must be for your students...wish I'd been in your class when I was that age.
smile.png

I use a couple of the HB 1588s, both with and without the turner. I don't bother with covering up the notch for the turner cord, so I'd surmise that while some humidity must escape from the incubator through the notch, it's not that significant. I also leave the vent plug out, so humidity is escaping there, too. I focus on ensuring that there's sufficient water in the channels to keep the humidity high enough to compensate for any "leaks".

Best wishes for a successful hatch (and appropriately impressed kids)!

I also do not worry about blocking the notch when the turner comes out of my 1588. The moisture loss through that notch is going to be irrelevant.

At that stage the chicks need fresh air to breathe. I know the 1588 is a forced air but I want the red plug out anyway to help assure they are getting fresh air exchange.

I have just ordered a new Hovabator 1588 with turner and I have a question. I read that some folks leave the turner in during hatch, obviously turned off, but I wonder what the surface of the turner is like for the chicks and whether clean up is an issue. Also, if you remove the turner for lockdown, does this bator recover temp quickly?

I have just ordered a new Hovabator 1588 with turner and I have a question.  I read that some folks leave the turner in during hatch, obviously turned off, but I wonder what the surface of the turner is like for the chicks and whether clean up is an issue.  Also, if you remove the turner for lockdown, does this bator recover temp quickly?  

I have never left in the turner as I would be afraid the chicks would get their legs stuck in the holes and injure themselves. I have never had a problem with the incubator recovering temp quickly! It might be a couple of minutes but it will be fine!

I have never left in the turner as I would be afraid the chicks would get their legs stuck in the holes and injure themselves. I have never had a problem with the incubator recovering temp quickly! It might be a couple of minutes but it will be fine!
Excellent, just what I wanted to hear/read, thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom