Hovabator 1588 Genesis questions??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by daisychick, Feb 9, 2009.

1. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I know a lot of you use the 1588 Genesis. I am wondering if it uses the wafer type of thermostat??

I have a 1602 Hovabator and was also wondering if any of you think I should try to modify it by adding a fan??? Do you think it would work??

I wish I had a 1588 [​IMG] , but I was given this still air one for free so I am trying it.

Any input is appreciated.[​IMG]

2. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I use a 9200 still air bator. But a fan usally will increase your hatchability. So I reccomend that. But it isnt a nessesity. I dot have one. But I have hatched eggs a couple of times. [​IMG] Goodluck [​IMG]

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The 1588 doesn't have a wafer...it has an electronic thermostat.

4. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    I have the 1588 with automatic
    turner No wafer and its cookin' right now
    with my banty cochins,,
    it keeps the temp and humitiy
    ,right on give or take a
    a degree here or there.

5. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    yup, love mine, very accurate!

6. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Just did my first run with my 1588 and had 11 out of 12 eggs hatch with no problems.
    This was my first hatch ever and I found listening to the experienced folks here was more helpful than following the owners manual though.
    No wafer in the 1588. It should run at proper temps right out of the box but you can adjust it if you find yours running a little high or low.
    Good luck with whatever you end up buying.
    Carolyn

7. daisychick

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    well I want a 1588 after reading all the success stories on here!!

But I am new to the hatching stuff and was given a still air 1602 Hovabator for free so I must try it. I am home all day so I am hoping that I can keep up with the settings. So far my temps have been good and humidity too.

I was just curious if adding a fan would be a good idea for next hatching time.

Thanks for all the help on here....I love it and I have only been on here 2 days!! [​IMG]

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    A still air incubator needs a slight different temp setting than one that has a fan.

Incubator with a fan should be at 99.5.

The still air model should be 101 at the top of the eggs and decreasing in temp at the bottom of the eggs.

When you turn the eggs you might want to move their positions around in the incubator as there will be warm spots and cold spots.

9. daisychick

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Quote:Ok thanks! My temps have been really steady at 100 to 101 at the top of the eggs.

I did not move them around but will do that!

10. RonnieAtkeson

RonnieAtkeson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2008
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    im on my first run wiht my 1588. Set itself right out of the box. I would recomend going to walmart and buying a hydrometer so you can more accurately watch the temp and the humidity. The themometer it comes on is mercury stapled to a plastic square with the readings on it. It wouldnt take much to move up or down and throw it off a few degrees. I had to throw out one egg that was cracked but was still devoloping. Mine holds the temps in the 99.5-100.5 range all day and nite. The Humidity stays fairly even for a couple days till i have to add more water. Im only on day 8 with mine and can tell you im addicted to hatching already, so you are warned [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by