HovaBator Genesis with fan incubation question

crazyhatlady

Songster
7 Years
Feb 27, 2013
NYS
I'm on my 3 rd hatch with a Hovabator 1602n with a fan. I have a hygrometer/thermometer that i keep inside. My first two hatches I did good.

1st Hatch last year: I set 12 eggs. Only 11 where fertile. All 11 hatched healthy. Ended up with 8 hens and 3 roos. Ran temps a little high between 99.5 and 100 F. humdity between 45-50 %

2nd Hatch( 1st for this year ( a new rooster over 39 hens) set 18 eggs only 8 were fertile, all 8 hatched healthy, ran temps the same as 1st hatch. So far it seems like I have 4 hens and 4 roos. They are only 7 weeks old.

This is my 3rd setting. I set 36 eggs and I am trying to run my temps at 99 to 99.5 F this time around. Humdity 45-50 again.

So I just set my eggs at noon for the Easter Hatch Along. Right now, I have it so my thermostat shuts off at 99 and the lowest the temp gets while its bringing the incubator back up to temperature is 98.4 . Is this okay or should I adjust the temperature a little higher? I now see the appeal of paying more for a digital. But I've been happy with my hatches so far.

Thank you.

Last edited:
1588s are digital unless you have an older model with the flip switches.

You might move it up a little. But if your first hatches turned out good and ontime I wouldn't change a thing.

I set 60 for the easter hal.

Good luck

You might move it up a little. But if your first hatches turned out good and ontime I wouldn't change a thing.

Good luck

I am wrong. I have a Hovabator 1602n. I think at the time I ordered from Amazon I thought I was buying a genesis. Getting older stinks.
1f60a.png

And thank you. I turned it up a little. The initial setting even after setting it up prior seems to be fiddly with the manual. I use a turner in it.

Last edited:

Good luck

Good luck on the 60.
Her first hatch she had the temps a little warmer.

I am wrong. I have a Hovabator 1602n. I think at the time I ordered from Amazon I thought I was buying a genesis. Getting older stinks.
1f60a.png

I take it you are testing the theory that one temp will produce more girls and one more boys?
Personally I wouldn't run lower, and the theory of temps is based on which sex survives incubation at a certain temp. I almost always run warm. I don't see a consistency in sex majority. Sometimes I have female majority, sometime male. But, I respect people's initiative to test things, so I'm interested in your outcomes.

I have the Hovabator 1583 and I love it.

Good luck on the 60.
Her first hatch she had the temps a little warmer.
I take it you are testing the theory that one temp will produce more girls and one more boys?
Personally I wouldn't run lower, and the theory of temps is based on which sex survives incubation at a certain temp. I almost always run warm. I don't see a consistency in sex majority. Sometimes I have female majority, sometime male. But, I respect people's initiative to test things, so I'm interested in your outcomes.

I have the Hovabator 1583 and I love it.

Yes, I was wanting to test it but I like the success I've had. So I'm running it between 99.1 and 99.5 . The low end is what I'm getting just before it turns on to warm up and it shuts off at 99.5. Previously I ran it a little high for being circulated air according to the hatching info here on BYC. So seeing what I get if I can keep it at these temps.

Good luck everyone.

Yes, I was wanting to test it but I like the success I've had. So I'm running it between 99.1 and 99.5 . The low end is what I'm getting just before it turns on to warm up and it shuts off at 99.5. Previously I ran it a little high for being circulated air according to the hatching info here on BYC. So seeing what I get if I can keep it at these temps.

Good luck everyone.

I have forced air and I intentionally run 100F.

Back
Top Bottom