Hovabator help...?

Marct611

Chirping
11 Years
Aug 30, 2010
Ludlow,MA
Hi
I am going to attempt my first hatch. I bought the Hovabator genesis 1588(forced air) with the automatic turner. I have a few questions I need help with. Its setup in my dining room with a constant temp of 73 degrees, never in the direct sun.

1. How do I lower the humidity? I filled the center section as described in the instructions and it gives me a 56% humidity level on both digital hydrometers..

2. What is the correct humidity level for the first 18 days for chickens? Ive read opinions of 25-60%

3. The temperature is a steady 99 degrees so I think Im ok there.

4. Which end goes down in the turner? The point I assume..

5. Any other advice is appreciated.

1. How do I lower the humidity? I filled the center section as described in the instructions and it gives me a 56% humidity level on both digital hydrometers.. Humidity is by surface area of water, not depth. The more surface area exposed, the higher the humidity.

2. What is the correct humidity level for the first 18 days for chickens? Ive read opinions of 25-60%
I have a 1588. Have for the past couple years. I used to worry about humidity. Spent countless hours stewing over too high, too low. Now I dry hatch. I put no water in until day 18

3. The temperature is a steady 99 degrees so I think Im ok there.
Temp is fine. They come preset from the factory. I've never touched mine. I think it stays round the 99.9 mark. You could bump it up a bit if you want. Instructions are in the owner's manual

4. Which end goes down in the turner? The point I assume..
Pointed end down, ALWAYS

5. Any other advice is appreciated.
Set it and forget it. I know that's for the ronco roaster but, it's true. I set them in close the lid and leave it alone. I will candle between 7 and 10 days then leave it alone til day 18. Add the water, take out the turner and the leave it alone!

Hi
Thanks for the help.
I have the temp at a constant 99.4-99.8, so that works well..

I am having trouble with the humidity.. If I do what the instructions say to fill it gives me 55% humidity. There is also a very small pan there I tried just using that and it has me at a constant 28-29%.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the hovabator to hold the right humidity for the first 18 days. I was told it needs to be in the mid 40's. I just can seem to get there.

thanks

The instructions that come with your incubator are just general instructions
I also have the 1588

In order to control humidity

you must run the incubator without water for a minimum of 12 hours with your hydrometer inside

this will give you the actual humidity of your house in the bator

once you have this number , you can add water little by little , try to use a measuring cup

add 1/4 of a cup and wait for 1 hour .

if you need to lower your humidity now
open the vents on the incubator until humidity drops

or find a way to keep one corner of your bator open try 1 hour , close it and wait to see how much it dropped

hope this help

dont forget to calibrate your hydrometer for a more acurate reading

Last edited:
Set it and forget it.... exactly right.

You have a fan... AROUND 99.5F is good. 99.5 is perfect.... don't worry if its 99.7 or 99.3 or whatnot. They are still good.

humidity at 56% isn't horrible either. I'd leave well enough alone since it's your first hatch. Don't go getting fancy until you get the basics down.

You are doing good... stop worrying!!! Lol. Breathe!!!
wink.png

Edit to add: I have $130 worth of eggs set right now and only look at the readings at night. Don't fret over it... you can do more damage than good fiddling.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom