Hovabator incubator vent plugs

Julie123ducks

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
Wondering if the red vent plugs need to be opened while incubating. Just tried hatching my first chicken eggs and when I candled them on day 24 the embryos were all underdeveloped..... not sure what went wrong. Do these vent plugs stay closed until the chicks hatch? I left mine closed.
I have duck eggs arriving today and really need to know what to do :). Thanks

I always leave the plug out. With my Hovabator 1588 I only have one plug.

Whether the plug is in or out the temperature is not affected, but the humidity is lower with the plug out. I want to stabilize humidity. That’s what I start out with it out.

During the first ten days it doesn’t really matter, but after that the developing chicks need to breathe oxygen through that porous shell. The older they get the more oxygen they need. Having the vent out helps with this.

I’m not quite sure what’s going on with your chicken eggs being under-developed at 24 days. I’m sorry but that just doesn’t sound right. Did you mean something else?

If chicken eggs are underdeveloped at 24 days, it sure sounds like your incubation temperature is too low. Have you calibrated your thermometer to make sure your temperature is right?

Rebel’s Thermometer Calibration
http://cmfarm.us/ThermometerCalibration.html

Back
Top Bottom