hovabator questions

Mikeeeeeeeeee

Songster
12 Years
Jul 20, 2007
Wetumpka
OK......I got an older hovabator.
Still air type. Just the element and wafer thermostat.
1. Regulating temp.
- harder to do when empty?
- modify to use a hot water heater thermostat?
2. Fill the tray as recommended with water, or use sponges?
3. Add a small fan, or just leave it alone as it is?

buy an accurite hygrometer from Walmart in the garden section. it will cost you about what you paid for your bator, but it will tell you what you need to do. (temp, humidity wise) Even if the bator was super cheap, the rest of the stuff won't be. lol

Quote:
Start your bator up and tweak the temps and humidity til you have it running correctly for a few day, do buy an Accurite thermometer/hygrometer at a Wal-mart or similar store, they also have cheap Springfields that I have also used without any problems. These set inside the incubator and will tell you the inside temp/humidity. When you add eggs the temp/humidity will go down for a few hours or longer but should correct itself. See if you can get the humidity running at 40 to 50% range for the first 18 days then 60 to 70% last 3 days. Most use Sponges on the last 3 days to help bump the humidity. Last time I used my bators I even let the humidity level drop below 40 the first 18 days and had great hatches.

I would try this way before trying to modify or mess with adding on.

I wouldn't fill the water trays right away. It depends on where you live, but I add very little water and my humidity stays where it should be for the first 18 days. I'd add a little at a time until you get the level where it should be. I add more water and a wet sponge for the last 3 days.

Thanks.........keep the tips coming
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom