How’s it even possible????

So I’ve had the absolute craziest thing happen on my farm. I have purebred show birds. Albany,clarets, hatches, brown reds, pyles…..etc. I’ve raised them from babies and now my pullets are laying. I’m so excited to get my F1’s !!! So I go gather eggs to start incubating and find a huge clutch of BLUE EGGS!!! Now before you say I have EE’s or the other I can promise you I do not!!! So I need some advice and thoughts on how this is happening please!!! I’m about to go crazy trying to find out
Warhorse and brown reds are very closely related warhorse just being a black - brown red, but my warhorse hens and occasionally my brown red hens will throw blue eggs

Pheasant chicken hybrids are actually pretty common to find in Asia, but don't know tons about them.
Ring Neck Pheasants apparently lay blue, or green eggs.
Wow, how didn't I know this? Regardless, they are sterile so they aren't an explanation for blue eggs. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, they are much closer than guineas which can still occasionally breed with chickens. (How that is even possible since guineas and chickens are not from the same family is a real mystery to me.)

Wow, how didn't I know this? Regardless, they are sterile so they aren't an explanation for blue eggs. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, they are much closer than guineas which can still occasionally breed with chickens. (How that is even possible since guineas and chickens are not from the same family is a real mystery to me.)
I did learn somewhere, don't exactly remember where though, but a small percentage of Pheasant Chicken hybrids can reproduce. I think it's linked to a certain gender, not sure if it's the male, or female hybrids.

It's an interesting subject, nonetheless.

I did learn somewhere, don't exactly remember where though, but a small percentage of Pheasant Chicken hybrids can reproduce. I think it's linked to a certain gender, not sure if it's the male, or female hybrids.
The male hybrids are probably the fertile ones in that case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haldane's_rule
"When in the F1 offspring of two different animal races one sex is absent, rare, or sterile, that sex is the heterozygous sex (heterogametic sex)."

Since "heterogametic" means the one with mis-matched sex chromosomes, that says the ZW female birds and the XY male mammals are the ones more likely to be infertile or dead in crosses. That leaves the ZZ male birds and the XX female mammals as the ones more likely to be alive, fertile, and so forth.

Back
Top Bottom