How “climby” are Orpingtons?

Interesting! I’ve read a lot on BYC about how heavy and clumsy orps are, and don’t like flying or getting up high... so I thought they may need a lower jungle gym... but maybe not? Would be good to hear about different people’s experiences. I don’t want to spend time building something they won’t use... Thanks for the input!

My lavender orpingtons like to get up onto the 7 foot a-frame roof of the coop and hang out there like weather vanes. They're jumping at least 3 foot verticals to do it.

Our two Buff Orpingtons must be from weird eggs after reading what has been posted previously here, both (cockerel and hen) insist on being carried to bed, they refuse to go in their coop unless picked up and carried there and the hen is the only chicken we have who demands to lay in our spare coop, she patrols outside the shut gate shouting at the top of her voice until we open the gate and coop door, she then sprints in to the coop, lays and when ready stands at the gate and shouts to be released. The gate is about five foot high and she makes no attempt to go over it. If we go out she seems to delay laying and waits till we return then runs to meet us so we can let her in to lay, what is wrong with the other two coops I have no idea! But these two definitely keep their feet on the ground unless being carried. Maybe we are just too soft with them.........

Our two Buff Orpingtons must be from weird eggs after reading what has been posted previously here, both (cockerel and hen) insist on being carried to bed, they refuse to go in their coop unless picked up and carried there and the hen is the only chicken we have who demands to lay in our spare coop, she patrols outside the shut gate shouting at the top of her voice until we open the gate and coop door, she then sprints in to the coop, lays and when ready stands at the gate and shouts to be released. The gate is about five foot high and she makes no attempt to go over it. If we go out she seems to delay laying and waits till we return then runs to meet us so we can let her in to lay, what is wrong with the other two coops I have no idea! But these two definitely keep their feet on the ground unless being carried. Maybe we are just too soft with them.........
:gig
I wouldn't want to walk either if somebody was willing to carry me to bed! Your chickens are living the good life :lol:

They will use whatever you give them and it'll provide them with lots of exercise opportunities and add variety to their day. For your sake, build gyms you can easily move around and at least high enough that it can double as a bit of shelter.
Small pallets are ideal for making little gazebos, porches or ramps. As long as they have sure-footing on whatever they're perching on, they should be fine.
Also, off-cuts for fence or foundation posts and wood rounds scattered around the coop are well-used too.

Interesting! I’ve read a lot on BYC about how heavy and clumsy orps are, and don’t like flying or getting up high... so I thought they may need a lower jungle gym... but maybe not? Would be good to hear about different people’s experiences. I don’t want to spend time building something they won’t use... Thanks for the input!
My two juvenille orpingtons used to fly up into my arms when I was walking in the yard...I am not a tall lady though haha

Back
Top Bottom