How 3 cute Bantams survived investigation and landed in my backyard :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RacillaTheHen, Mar 15, 2013.

1. RacillaTheHen

RacillaTheHen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    Hello all,
    I suppose I should open with: I am a crazy animal shelter employee with good intentions and sentimentally impaired judgement.
    That is how I started visiting a bunch of chickens under protective custody for cruelty investigation. ( A religious cult of some sort crossed the line and all feathery survivors were impounded in our quarantine area.) The courts take their sweet time, so we, ehm...bonded. I reserve a particularly cushioned soft spot for the chickens ever since one remarkable specimen pecked her way into my heart at a clinic I used to work for. So as the story goes, with our birds under investigation, I started bringing them meal worms at lunch breaks, talking to them in an unnaturally high pitched voice and when I caught myself scraping dirt out of the curbside rosemary planters for an improvised dust bath... I was hooked.

Our household routinely fosters/rehabilitates animals, but we never had chickens...My poor husband, trained to play along, is being a good sport about my new endeavor. So are the neighbors. Thankfully, I did my due diligence and asked their permission, because one hen already paid them all a courtesy visit, demonstrating remarkable escape skills (Oh yes, they can fly. Elegant it is not, but it sure gets them over the fence.) After some 30 minutes of team effort, flushed and uttering mild profanities, my fabulous husband managed to trap her in his unused fish net.

Knowing we have an established family of racoons, skunks and a feral cat colony in vicinity, I was beside myself with joy to have her back, safely in my arms. I held her gently up against my chest and in return, she cheerfully crapped on my work shirt. My dogs stoically cleaned that up in an unguarded moment. Putting the runaway back in the cage, hubby concluded we needed a coop big enough for them never to have to free roam on his watch. Too nerve wrecking, he said. I shrugged my shoulders. Since I am not getting my car fixed, we may as well.

And so this, my friends in madness, is day one of my urban chicken keeper-hood. I am enamored. Spacious coop online shopping as we speak...sincerely yours, RacillaTheHen :)

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Racilla,

WELCOME TO BYC!!!

You will fit right in here!!

[​IMG]

PS: Always build a BIGGER COOP... you will want MORE!

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Do you get to keep the impounded chickens? Or do they need to provide testimony?

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Have they "purred" for you, yet? I was smitten the first time a contented chicken settled in my lap and began to trill. How can you not fall in love when a so-called barnyard animal trusts you enough to trill as it falls asleep on or near you?

Oh, and welcome to BYC from California wine county in the Western Sierra Foothills!

1 person likes this.
  5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Loved the intro and your avatar. Reminds me of myself first thing in the morning :)

1 person likes this.
  6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, RacillaTheHen, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! Have fun and enjoy your chickens!

1 person likes this.
  7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. RacillaTheHen

RacillaTheHen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    No, they are not quite "snuggly" yet. They probably haven´t been handled much at all. Racilla is super outgoing, fearless,and she keeps calm when I hold her, Thana is a bit of a tweeker, nervous lil thing. And Cinci (the rooster, but don´t tell anyone) is undecided on whether he likes me or not. Racilla seems to be calling the shots, so lets hope I will win his graces...( unrelated question: if I keep the coop realy dark, will it fool him to not wake up the hood at 5am? Or do they have biological clock that will laugh in the face of my dark plan?)

Overall, they are delightful. Of course, I have been glued to the cage since morning. They have not laid, although they were consistently laying in the shelter, on a concrete floor. Probably the stress of the move. I don´t mind necessarily, I don´t even know how old these guys are, they may very well be past their prime. I observed something curious today...(mind you everything about chickens will be curious for a while, I´m a greenhorn). Racilla was plucking grass and purposefully putting it on her back. Then it would all fall off and she would start again. Anyone any idea what is she doing?

Ah, never mind, she just laid one! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yes, the back decorating is a throwback to ancient jungle fowl behavior: she is hiding herself. Or so she thinks. Probably doesn't even "think" about it, she just knows she has to do that so nobody finds her or her nest. Pretty funny that chickens nowadays do it "on the run," so to speak, NOT sitting quietly in their nest boxes.

I have a couple of hens in my flock which do that and I always tell them how pretty they are with their "I laid an egg" wear. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by