How about this Coop??

Hi,

I've been looking around trying to figure out how to do the inside parts of this same type coop. So thank you.
smile.png

If you wouldn't mind I'd like to tag along in your thread and ask: Does this style nesting box work well for 3 fat hens ?

The one thing I see is that you would need to add cross ventilation.. I think ? Mine has several larger netted holes and a sliding panel..but only on one side, so I figured I need to add more opposite.

That's a really cute coop. It's the posh version of what I have.
I'm trying to get ready for my very first chickens and love this site. ( qualifying my opinion, ya know
wink.png
)

Last edited:
I built one like the first link this week. I had some 2x6 boards, some extra plywood, some 1x4 boards, and some staples and screws so all I had to buy was a $12 roll of chicken wire. It took me a good 6 hours to build since I built i myself but it turned out pretty good and $12 for a coop is not too shabby.

Mine actually has 18 bantam chicks in it right now but when they get a little older there will only be 6 in it. I think my actual dimensions are 7ft long, 5 foot wide, and 45" high in the center. It is easily moved by myself and my wife by the flip down wheels I made using old push mower wheels I found in my junk pile, works great.

Either one is great, just depends on what you can afford. I am always for get the biggest you can afford to get since my hens appear to enjoy as much space as possible. I have a few tractors similar to this that I use for grow out brooders. Hopefully you plan to move it about once a week to a new spot as the birds, even a few make short work of green grass. If you have a slug population as we do here in the PNW be sure to hang the feeder off the ground if you can. They like chick feed too and make stuff icky.

Certainly a good idea for a small flock.

Also, check your livestock swaps and craigslist for similar coop tractors.

In our area, there are people who make these and bring them to the swaps.

They're WAY cheaper than the online price!

big_smile.png

Both look fine - since you're in the carolinas, run space is really more important than housing space. If you think you'd ever get up to 4 silkies, definitely the larger one, and even then I'd try to free range them some. I have two silkies and a d'uccle in a 44 ft. run, and it does NOT seem roomy to me. They pace and pace the wire waiting to be let out for some ranging. I think the bigger run was about 35 sq. ft???
A trio would most likely do okay in the smaller, although a pair would be better. The housing areas are fine - it's the runs that fall short on these type of tractors. They're both nice looking - have no experience w/quality of them though.

In your area, I'd think a large doghouse converted to coop and building your own ample run would be a much better value, if you're talking just a pair-quad of silkies.

Back
Top Bottom