How accurate is feather sexing?

JacksFarmNGardn

Songster
8 Years
Dec 26, 2015
New York

I have 3 chicks from pandapaws23 chicks she hatched out as part of the new years hatch along. The 3 tan eggs were gonna be mine from the beginning,the other 9 chocolate colored eggs are her babies. So when they hatched,she told me about feather sexing. I looked around and got some info on it. Females are supposedly to feather sooner than males. Certain breeds are easier to sex than others,mine are buff orp light brahma mixes.The pattern of their feathers on their wings are supposes to distinguish their sex. Now we both figure I have 1 girl and 2 boys. What do you think? Have you feather sexed and it was wrong? What do you think based on pics. I'm really hoping my girl Evie is indeed a girl! I've been spoiling her like crazy since hatched! I don't know what i's do if she were a he!!!

I can usually feather sex some breeds like buff Orpingtons and my bantam cochins, but I can tell by how more slowly the roosters feather out compared to the hens, some roosters will be almost bald except for wing feathers at 8 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom