how ald are chicks when they begin to lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Berynn, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    How old are Chickens when they start laying? I heard four months. Also when they do lay, I heard wash them with warm water, then I heard not to because diseease can get in the shells. I also heard just use a low grade sand paper.[​IMG]

2. NJfarmer

NJfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    New Jersey and Maine
    Quote:4 months is what I heard too. But it depends on the chicken. As far as washing your eggs people have different opinions on that. When you wash the egg a protective outer layer is being taken off. It casuses them to spoil faster or something like that. I wipe my eggs off with a damp napkin. It's really up to you

3. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Depending on the breed, they can lay as early as 16 weeks. 20 - 24 weeks seems to be the average ...or so I'm getting from other members here. I have some that are 27 weeks and haven't laid. Patience patience patience. sigh.

I don't wash eggs until I get ready to use/cook them. They do spoil faster if you do it.

4. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    four months is what i read and have been told. that is about how old our chickens were when they started laying. we have some that will be four months old in december, i don't know how winter will affect them laying (red stars). i want to get a solar power light to help them and the other chickens.
    i just make sure my eggs are clean before i put them away in the fridge. i usually use a dry towel or damp one if needed. i have a chicken book that talks about certain tempatures of the water that you use and using sand paper to get any ridges or rough spots off your eggs. why go through all that if there is no need? i have a few people buying my eggs and some family members i give them to. no one complains and my kids and hubby love our home raised eggs.

5. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Some of mine started laying at 17 and 18 weeks. Right now I have a coulple that are about 30 weeks and still have not laid. So I guess it all depends on the chicken, breed, weather... etc... Good Luck!!

6. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Chickens begin laying at around 4 months some take a little longer 5 months. We don't wash our eggs unless they are soil which isn't very often, using a paper towel and some warm water.

7. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens are just about 6mos old and one has started to lay. Some breeds lay sooner than others and some will be more prolific layers once they get started.

I haven't washed any eggs. I also haven't had any with poop on them.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Do you have some hens ready to begin laying?

8. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We have a flock of Bantams that turned 25 weeks old this past Monday. Our Mottled Cochins began laying at 19 1/2 weeks, Silkies began at 21 1/2 weeks, our EE's began right at 22 weeks and our Silver Sebright began laying right at 23 weeks.

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by