How am I doing?

katarobb

Chirping
Apr 27, 2020
Allentown, PA
Hello - I'm here for a check up! This site was so much help to me when I was getting started with chickens a few years ago. My four hens are now about 2 1/2 years old. They are brown egg layer hybrids (Rhode Island Red crossed with White Rock). Their feedback is positive. They lay about two dozen jumbo sized eggs each week (in the recent heat it's been slightly fewer). I started with a small piecemeal hen house/run but about a year ago I upgraded to this coop when it became clear that I am likely to keep chickens for as long as I live in this house. My main goals are to have healthy chickens and to be able to anticipate their needs. I don't mind spending a little time on them or doing some upkeep work but I don't want to be surprised by suddenly needing to do something that I could've avoided/anticipated. So that is where I'm looking for your feedback. Do you have any concerns looking at this setup?

The chickens are pretty much always contained because there are predators around and no fence to stop them from wandering all over the neighborhood. I've buried a skirt of 1/4 inch hardware cloth and haven't had any trouble with predators getting in. Automatic door is on a timer. I have never used a ramp - chickens jump in and out of the door. I fill the Grandpa Feeder whenever it's low and keep water in the two buckets inside. I have all purpose sand under the roosting bars and use a kitty-litter scoop to clean it out about every ten days or so. That's the extent of my regular maintenance. I keep pine shavings in the nesting boxes which the hens throw all over the place. Usually they kick it around until they get to the bare bottom of the box. I've had some trouble with broken eggs and egg eating. I don't believe that they break eggs on purpose but if one breaks, they eat it. I put a piece of foam under the pine shavings of their favorite box. I was worried that they would peck at it, but so far they haven't. Not sure if that will help. I have carpenter bees making tunnels into one board at the front/top of the coop and am currently working on that problem. Soaked cotton balls in alcohol and stuffed up the holes (you can see them in the picture if you look closely). Next I will put wood putty over them and paint that one strip.

Thanks for your thoughts! -Kate

Attachments

• IMG_2392.jpg
    IMG_2392.jpg
    967.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2393.jpg
    IMG_2393.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2394.jpg
    IMG_2394.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2395.jpg
    IMG_2395.jpg
    587.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2396.jpg
    IMG_2396.jpg
    759.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2397.jpg
    IMG_2397.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 6
The coop size is good but the run is a little small. I'd want at least twice that area for my birds. And I'd put more "stuff" in the run for entertainment, like stumps/perches or pallets leaning against the wall.
You should also move the water to outside. You certainly don't want it in there for winter. And for that many birds, you only need one. They are taking up room from the landing zone and are adding humidity to the coop. The extra humidity in the winter time is not at all desirable.
Other than these things, it's a nice setup.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom