How and Where Do I Add Ventilation to a Vinyl Sided Shed Chicken Coop?

Your shed has a nice ridge vent and you've got a good window as well as the screened opening. i don't really see that you need any more ventilation, but you could always add a few vents like these up on the walls if you felt you needed to. They even make them that would fit your octagon window. Of, course, you would have to take the window out. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Accord-Ven...-x-6-in-Outside-13-73-in-x-7-74-in/1000161133

I took some pics of the inside to display the area where the roof structure joins the walls. I poked a broom handle into the area that is closed off. I'm guessing that I would have to remove the underside or side of the exterior aluminum fascia to expose the wood and add venting there? Would replacing the skylight be effective? P.S. THANK YOU for you help and insights!
upload_2019-10-4_10-14-45.png

1004190912a - Copy.jpg
broom handle against the soffit - Copy.jpg
1004190910a_HDR - Copy.jpg
1004190932_HDR - Copy.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-19_12-12-19.png
    upload_2018-12-19_12-12-19.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 1
What is the blue thing in the second pic?
OhBoy...that soffit is all boxed in with sheet metal.
Cutting that would not be fun, depending on your skills and tools.
Can you feel down here and tap the metal sheathing?
upload_2019-10-4_10-28-0.png

One word.....SNOW.
Soffit venting are the best for us up north.
Tho I agree a couple gable vents would be good...or at least the octagon.
Duh! Us folks in the deep south don't think about what all y'all northerners have to deal with when it comes to snow. We're just happy we don't have to!

What is the blue thing in the second pic?
OhBoy...that soffit is all boxed in with sheet metal.
Cutting that would not be fun, depending on your skills and tools.
Can you feel down here and tap the metal sheathing?
View attachment 1925229

The blue thing is a broom handle I poked in to get a feel for depth and what the backing is. It's wood. The soffit is totally enclosed with wood on all 3 sides. I'm leaning to the gables being the best location.

I have decided to open up that soffit area. Definitely doing the underside and it will be the area where the roosts are which is about 4 feet long on each side. the width area available is about 3 inches. Will this be enough or should I go for opening up the out facing area which would be between the roof studs creating more open area? The red marks the area I'm starting on.
Vent Area.jpg

I'd open as much of that underside area as you can, the whole length.
Start small see how it goes.
Your Red marked plane(surface) is the soffit, that's where you want to remove.
My Blue marked plane(surface) is the fascia, I'd leave that alone as wind/snow could blow in there.

upload_2019-10-22_21-42-40.png

Back
Top Bottom