How are these roosting bars?

cjweaver13

Chirping
Jun 18, 2021
Northeast Pennsylvania
I have 16 chickens of mixed breeds. 2 orpingtons, 4 austrolorps, 4 RIR, 3 barred rocks, 2 ameraucanas, and 1 wyandotte. First level is 16 inches and second is 34. Top tier sits about 10 inches from the wall. The total length between both tiers is 180 inches, so I'm well over the 10 inches per bird. Any changes I should make before move in day?

0494BA1C-A7B2-4822-8091-08838FC3CFD4.jpeg

not an expert, this is based on opinion, but i think the wood should be smaller, like it should be wide enough for them to wrap their feet around. in the pic it looks like their feet rest on the wood. it should be able to sit on the wood like a bird would on some branch

Looks good to me!!
My roosts are 2”x4” with the wide side being the part they roost on so they can keep their feet from getting frost bit in the winter.

not an expert, this is based on opinion, but i think the wood should be smaller, like it should be wide enough for them to wrap their feet around. in the pic it looks like their feet rest on the wood. it should be able to sit on the wood like a bird would on some branch

Chickens don't perch with their feet wrapped like parrots. They sit on top of the perch without wrapping and locking their toes. :)

Back
Top Bottom