How are top chickens supposed to act?

I think you said she's an Easter Egger- does she have muffs/beard? i.e. if she has the adorable puffy cheeks, she might not be able to see all that well. I've got one that must be a triple copy for the muffs/beard gene. Her muffs grow in so thick that it impedes her vision. Before I finally figured out that she couldn't see to avoid getting jumped and picked on, she was in a position worse than the low bird, because she was vulnerable and couldn't see them coming. As a result she was a jumpy, miserable little thing. After I trimmed her muffs back under her eyes things changed immediately. Still near the bottom, but able to evade. Easy fix. Get one of those little pairs of Fiskars (found them at Walmart, in the sewing section, I think) that are very sharp and very easy to control. Might need one to hold her and one to cut- I can do both, but you are near the eye, so if there's any doubt, a second set of hands is very useful. Do it every 4 or so weeks depending on the season. The picture was before the trim. She couldn't see behind her or to some extent the sides.
Thanks so much! I'll definitely check her and I'll check that link. I don't think she has much of muff or beard or maybe they picked it but I'll definitely make sure she can see. Her sister is an EE too though and seems to be a little higher up and both seem to be able to see fairly well, poor thing runs if they even give her an off look. But I'll continue to check her facial "hair" if you will :p

Thanks so much! I'll definitely check her and I'll check that link. I don't think she has much of muff or beard or maybe they picked it but I'll definitely make sure she can see. Her sister is an EE too though and seems to be a little higher up and both seem to be able to see fairly well, poor thing runs if they even give her an off look. But I'll continue to check her facial "hair" if you will
tongue.png

OK! I've got 4 others that fall in the EE category- none of which have anywhere near her eye fluff- just like yours, 1 is high in the rankings, 1 is middle- 3 are towards the bottom. 1 is one of my 'originals' and has always been there (but never took the kind of hits poor Chip (pictured above) used to get-- the other two are two of the youngest. I'm glad yours can see to evade the stink eye!

OK!  I've got 4 others that fall in the EE category- none of which have anywhere near her eye fluff- just like yours, 1 is high in the rankings, 1 is middle- 3 are towards the bottom.  1 is one of my 'originals' and has always been there (but never took the kind of hits poor Chip (pictured above) used to get-- the other two are two of the youngest.  I'm glad yours can see to evade the stink eye!

I find it interesting the varying levels of fluff as well as rankings in the flock. I just assumed all were skittish and lower ranking. Yup, and they give it kind of a lot

Back
Top Bottom