1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How are your DORKINGS laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hopeful Peacock, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Hopeful Peacock

Hopeful Peacock Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2009
    middle TN
    I have a mixed flock of 13 including 3 dorking hens. They are apparently happy and healthy (and the Dorkings are my friendliest birds, so I love that). They hatched March 2011 and 2 of the 3 never really laid regularly. In October, they went through a light molt and it's been about a month since they appeared to be done with molt and I have gotten ONE egg during that time [​IMG] I have one other hen who is not laying, but the other 8 are laying wonderfully. They are all dual purpose breeds. I'm just wondering if this light/inconsistant laying is usual with Dorkings? Or maybe they just mature late and will surprise me in the Spring?

2. capayvalleychick

capayvalleychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Guinda CA
    I think that they will probably start laying in the Spring. Mine are older, but taking a break now.

Kim

3. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    I'm still trying to find some Dorkings , they seem to be few and far between , looking for white.

4. Hopeful Peacock

Hopeful Peacock Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2009
    middle TN
    Yes, I felt lucky to find them. A local hatchery in TN had them. Mine are silver grey though.

5. capayvalleychick

capayvalleychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Guinda CA
    Quote:Which hatchery? Where did they get their breeding stock?

I'm making a list of sources. [​IMG]

Kim

6. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    my dorkings i'm getting 3-4 eggs per week from each hen. i have only the 2 girls but so far so good...

hatching everything i get tho, but the first dozen or so were all clear. took a while for the roo to get the idea i think.

for whites, you might try sandhill preservation. they've got all dorking colors available, but the waitlist can get long.

I'm planning on trap-nesting my girls and selecting for better egg production hens (in addition to better quality/size/conformation). i've only got silver grey right now myself but want colored/red also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by