How bad do chicken coops stink?

39214_chickensandportablecoop_012.jpg

I am in the process of building the big coop. So can I have the roost above the nesting boxes (they will be lowered about a foot) and have extra boards on top of the upmost box? I am going to have sand in the run (maybe 4-5 inches deep) because i can't till the ground (way too rocky). I hope the poop cleans up with a cat litter scooper.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their input- seriously, you have saved me a ton of time/pain/rework!!
thumbsup.gif

Wanted to add that we will not be using the loft for the chickens, just the area below (and the floor is wet because I had just bleached it- lol!)

Last edited:
Quote:
Tea tree oil is a natural germ killer and it deodorizes / refreshes at the same time.

I usually sand the roosts then rub them down with the mixture. It keeps things smelling pretty good for awhile while helping keep the insects down too.

Quote:
Yes, you put the poop boards flat on top of the top nest box, and the 2 x 4"roosts about 8" above, wide side up. They fly/hop up on top of the nest boxes, then hop up to the roost. You don't want the overall height to be too high, or the heavy birds will hurt themselves jumping down, causing bumblefoot, or as in my George, a broken pelvis! Don't worry, she recovered.

Looks great! It'll be Chickentopia!

THANK you everyone!
bow.gif

I feel so much better (these girls have been begging for chickens for over a year). I really didn't know much about chickens at all, and I feel like I am at least on the right path.

Two questions- how high is too high (what about silkies- just make a lower roost too?) for a roost? And how much tea tree?

Silkies definitely need lower roosts, as they don't fly, but I'm not sure what height, as I haven't any, myself...yet...I have 33 in the incubator.

I would guess a 20" high roost for them.

I'm not sure about the tea tree ratio, but I would hazard a guess for my own use at a 7- or 8-to-1 ratio with the olive oil.

Our roost is above the nesting boxes also. I have a double roost with a 3 foot wide table top above the nests to protect them. I emptied a bag of fine sand and mixed in some DE to help wick away the moisture from the droppings. Every 2-3 days I go out and scoop out the solids with a kitty litter scooper. Works like a charm and no smell. Oh, and there is also 2x2 hardware cloth above the sand so that they cannot reach it.

I second the motion that the kitty litter smells worse!

Okay- I just have to mention this: I've had cats all of my life, generally a LOT of indoor cats- I only have one now, but he's 28#.

14596_weezer.jpg

I got myself an automatic litterbox about a decade ago, when we had 3 other cats, 2 elderly with kidneys going bad, so they peed a LOT.

It is the most wonderful invention ever created and the best $85 I ever spent. Bar none.

Incredible. I only use ONE jug of premium scooping litter a YEAR, btw...

A must.

Sorry for the hijack. Had to share...you may now return to the regularly scheduled thread....

Last edited:
Wait! I just have to say wow at the 1 jug of litter per YEAR??? The jugs I buy are $10 a piece and I go through one about every couple weeks. I gotta get my kitties one of those suckers! What brand of box do you own?

Sorry about another hijack, but I just have to know!

Back
Top Bottom