how bad of a problem can a cat be?

snooptwomey

Songster
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
Newark, DE
I noticed a cat around my coop last night, so I chased him away. Than again this morning it was out around by my run so i let the dog out to investigate
smile.png
How often do people have cat attacks?

I have heard stories about people having chickens killed by feral cats, but there are at least three big ol toms that cross my property who have never bothered my chickens a bit.

Hi, I have raised chickens for many years. My cats have never bothered my chickens or even my little chicks, but they have been around them all their lives. I am sure some cats would kill chickens though. Just keep an eye on it.
hmm.png

My cat tried to stalk my chickens when I first got them. He soon learned, though, that he can't have them. I kept saying NO! to him each time he's start creeping up on them. Now he still likes to get into the coop - but he tries to eat their food rather than bothering them.

Had a large feral tom cat snatch my hen right from under my nose. He was that fast. She was only about five feet from me. He killed three of my hens before we could shoot him.

I had a cat eyeing up my three hens about 2 mouths ago i got feed up scaring it off so i sat (with a jug of water) and watched to see what the cat did...!
The cat jumped to the ground and started stroking my Light Sussex, She pop her head my looked side on at the cat them stood bolt up right neck in the air then a big brooooooooooooooooook
next thing the cat new the Light Sussex was at full steam for him but at the same time my other 2 hens jumped in the air wings open coming down feet first on the cat.!
I never new chicken where that violent?
My Sussex had a bit of fluff in her beak for about 10 mins just walking around with it
lol.png

I never seen a cat since but as my girls our big i don't think cats are a problem but if you have some small hens I'd keep an eye on it

Back
Top Bottom