How best to sell hatching Mountain Quail eggs? (Newbie, lots of Q's)

lanimilbus

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 3, 2008
Central Maine
(I originally posted this on the Incubating/Hatching Eggs board but was advised to ask here instead.)
Last year I got three pairs of Mountain Quail that I’ve been raising as a hobby; they live together in a colony inside an outdoor aviary resembling their natural habitat that I built and designed as a personal project last summer. Turns out this "project" ended up costing about 20 times more than I had anticipated, as did the quail themselves. Still, they've been thriving and it's been very interesting and rewarding having them around and watching their behaviors.

About a week ago I got my first eggs from them, a total of four that had been laid in a nest they built out of pine branches, and have gotten seven more eggs since then. In doing some research into Mountain Quail eggs I discovered two things: A.) they don’t lay them very often (between 5 and 30 a year according to most sources) and B.) there seems to be quite a high demand for them online with prices ranging between $8.00 and $15.00 per egg. This makes me feel like I’m wasting a precious resource by not having any plans to hatch the eggs (I was just intending to eat them) and also of course has me thinking about recouping some of my extensive financial losses from my “2010 Outdoor Quail Aviary” project by selling the eggs to those who’d like to purchase them.

But I’m new to this so I figured I would check here to find out what exactly would be involved in selling the eggs online on a site like Eggbid or eBay. Here are my big questions:

1.) What’s the general process involved in selling hatching eggs? I searched for a “how to” guide on it but couldn’t find anything. What are the basics and the need-to-know info?
2.) How fresh do the eggs have to be when being sold/shipped? Should they be laid on the same day as shipment, several days prior to shipment etc
3.) What care of the eggs needs to be taken between the time they’re collected and the point at which they’re shipped out? Is any special equipment needed?
4.) Does the shipping need to be overnight, next day/2-day air etc?
5.) What’s the process for determining whether the quail eggs are fertile or not? Is it any different than with regular full-sized chicken eggs?
6.) Each of my three pairs of Mountain Quail comes from a different breeder and a different bloodline and all six birds are raised together. Does this make their eggs more or less valuable?
7.) How big a factor is temperature when shipping the eggs and is there a point in the year when it becomes too late to still try to sell/ship them?
8.) Any other information I should know? I want to be sure that if I do this I have all the facts first and do it right since it’s my first time attempting anything like this and I’d hate for people to spend so much money on eggs that never hatch due to some failure of mine.

Thanks in advance for any and all help/info!

START WITH A GOOD CARTON...
PACKING001.jpg

PAD IT WELL...
PACKING002.jpg

INSERT EGGS...
http://s1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/JMGAMEFARM/?action=view&current=PACKING003.jpg

CUT BUBBLE WRAP SINGLE OR DOUBLE LAYER-- WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO KEEP THEM STABLE AND PREVENT "RATTLING"...
PACKING005.jpg

CLOSE THE CARTON... SECURE WITH TAPE/ RUBBERBANDS AND THE WRAP THE CARTON IN BUBBLE WRAP....
PACKING006.jpg

PAD INSIDE OF PRIORITY MAIL BOX WITH SHREDDED NEWSPAPER AND INSERT CARTON, THEN PAD ALL AROUND ALL SIDES AND TOP, SECURE BOX AND SHIP...
PACKING008.jpg

PACKING009.jpg

PACKING010.jpg

Quote:
My advices:

1º - DON'T EAT THOSE EGGS!
2º - If the aviary is big enough, let them hatch the eggs for themselves (maybe raise the chicks) them you can sell it for a much bigger amount.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the info, especially the detailed packing instructions; very helpful!

THEY NEED TO BE STORED IN AT LEAST ROOM TEMPERATURE AND TURNED 2X/DAY

I've read that ideally the eggs should initially be in a cool room between 40 - 60ºF, preferably in the 50's. I assume it's alright if the temps are a bit above that range though? The coolest room of my house is my basement which stays at around 61ºF, at least for now (I'm sure it'll get warmer with summer approaching). I'm not sure of the humidity down there or how much that matters in this stage though...

Another question: how should the eggs be positioned in the cartons when being stored/turned? Their eggs are much more "pointy" than my Bobwhite eggs so I wasn't sure if the small pointy end should be facing up or down when placed in the carton.

Thanks again!​

Of course now that I'm ready to sell the eggs, they've stopped laying...any tips for getting them to lay again/lay more often? I tried putting a few small fake plastic eggs in the nest -- I cut them off an Easter decoration and they're a little smaller than the real eggs but otherwise look mostly alike -- but they just pushed them out to the side.

This site sells more "realistic" fake quail eggs and says it helps promote laying, but $18 for a dozen fake quail eggs seems a bit pricey. Would it help to maybe take one or two of the eggs I already collected and put them back in the nest? I know that sort of thing works for chickens but I have no idea if it would help or hurt with Mountain Quail.

I've Never Seen Fake Eggs Do Anything But Cost You Money For A Fake Poo Catcher. New World Quail Are Seasonal Layers. Unless They Are Molting It Looks Like Your Season May Be Done
sad.png

Just collected an egg that wasn't there an hour ago, so at least I've got *one* fresh egg. And it was about 2.5 days (until now) that I didn't get any eggs from them, so I don't know if that's just a typical dry spell or the normal time in between eggs for them or what. Even if they are seasonal layers, they only started laying a week and a half or so ago so 10 days seems like a pretty short season...but again, this is my first time with Mountain Quail so I'm not really sure what to expect.

When selling on a site like eBay, considering you want the eggs to be relatively fresh when you send them (less than 48hrs old), I assume that means you advertise a certain amount of eggs (let's say 6) and then hope your birds end up laying at least 6 eggs in the 48 hours prior to the shipment date? That seems like it could be a tricky thing to time correctly. I've gotten 7 in a ~30 hour time frame so far so I know it's possible, I just don't know how likely it is that I'll get that amount again in the days before a good shipping date (Monday or Friday/Saturday)
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom