How big is your pop-hole?

Ribbit

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 9, 2012
United Kingdom
Just measured mine and it's 10x12 inches, just a quick question for owners of Brahma and Orpington (and similar sized breeds) is is this sufficient enough room for them to get in and out?

I'm interested in getting some bigger breeds this time round :)

I was just saying to my friend I think I was going a little chicken crazy x)
She thought I was being rude with my title hahah

I have a two Buff Brahma Roos, and will check out the size of mine when I go out this evening, I can not remember at the moment They make it through it well.

Last edited:
My poop door is 13.5" w x 12 " h and the Brahmas make it through it good, they have to duck their heads but no problems getting through. Hope it helps.

The chicken door needs to be wide enough for at least one adult chicken of you biggest breed, and tall enough that their backs clear the top without crouching. They can/will duck their heads when going through. I have American Dominiques; the roosters weigh up to about 8 1/2 lbs and the hens average about 5 lbs. My chicken doors average 14 inches high and 10 inches wide. The one on the main hen house is arched. Depending on your breeds and your available space for the chicken door, personally I would make it tall enough for the tallest of them to go through without ducking. Cuz they're chickens, not ducks........

LOL

This is my first coop so I just guessed and made it 15"x15". I'm glad I didn't make it any smaller because my girls are still not full-grown but it looks kind of small to me.

Back
Top Bottom