How big of a brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kbbeale, Feb 18, 2009.

1. kbbeale

kbbeale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    You know, I've raised chickens for at least 6 years now, and I dont think I know the answer to this question!! We have banty breeds only. I'm thinking of buying another brooder, but one larger than what I have - and Im just curious how big the brooder really needs to be, for say, 20-30 chicks at any given time?

Then, what do you all do when they are a couple of weeks old and too cramped for the brooder - do you have a second (bigger) brooder? We live in S Texas, so cold isnt an issue, and I do have a heated area outside - but I have put chicks out there too soon on ocassion and had them die. So, I'd like to know what you all do, what works best for your set up.

Thanks everyone
    Kristen

2. Scratchn By

Scratchn By Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    East Texas
    Don't build a brooder they have to stay in full-time. You build one that they can walk in and out of. The reason for this is that's how they'll regulate their body temperature. If they're cold they'll be under the brooder and if not, they'll be outside of it. "Success with Baby Chicks" by Robert Plamondon shows how to build a brooder out of thin plywood and 2X2s for practically nothing. The only catch is that you'll need a secure place to put them and the brooder. I built a little four post, tin sided (buried in the ground 8-10 inches) chick house and placed my litter and brooder on the floor of it. The chicks can run about without worry of predation and regulate their temps as needed. Those high price brooders, I've read, are not worth the money.

GL!

3. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    My brooder for 16 is 4X3X2

4. Scratchn By

Scratchn By Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    East Texas
    Plenty! According to Success With Baby Chicks, a 4X4 should accommodate 150-250 chicks. I'd say you're good.

5. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Master S.M.C :

My brooder for 16 is 4X3X2

I use the same size for up to 50. with a 6x4 run. So total is 8 feet x 4 feet. I run a 2x2 roost across the 4 foot; this holds a heat lamp when they are young and a 60 watt when they are bigger.​

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have 2 brooders. There are pictures on my BYC Page.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by