How big of a coop do I need?

poultry09

Songster
8 Years
Dec 1, 2011
Rainier, Oregon
I am planing on getting about 10 guineas and I am wondering if a 10x5 coop with a 10x12 covered run would be big enough for all them? I have had a couple of guineas before but sold them cause I did not have the proper set up, and now that I can get the 10x5 coop for free I would like to put some guineas in it. I would also like to know what you feed your guineas and what the going rate is for a dozen guinea eggs is?.

I got a call from a lady and she is going to sell me a pair of 8-9 month old guineas (one male one female) for $15, the female is a pied and the male is a lavender is that a good deal?

any info that you have will be greatly appreciated

Yes, a 10x5 coop with a 10x12 run sound fine. I think the rule is you just need to have 4 sqft. per bird; so I think you are ok.
I feed my birds a mix of Game bird feed that I got at my local feed store and cracked corn.
The rate for a dozen hatching eggs is depending on where you live and who you ask. Here you can get them, at their lowest, for around $10-$12 per dozen. At their most they can go for is around $20-$25 per dozen.
And Yes, That is a great deal for that pair!
Good luck. Hope that helped,
Ashley

Thanks so much!!, Also is that price for fertilized or for eating eggs? and wow I never thought They would go that high!

For the first couple of days would they be fine on a 50% mix of layer pellet and a 50% mix of dry cob corn, oat and barley? cause thats what I feed my chickens, how many guineas max could I put in the coop and still have extra space?

If the Guineas are adults, they will do fine with the layer feed as their main diet... and the other feeds as treats only. Adult Guineas need a minimum of 16% protein. You don't need to feed them Game Bird feeds or higher protein feeds unless they are keets or juveniles. Grit and oyster shell should be available free choice. Guineas also enjoy greens and grass.

Ok tanks for the advice Peepsca! By the way I looked at your pictures and I love them Espically the ones of the white guineas and the pied ones They are beautiful!!! The white and pied guineas re my favorite.

Back
Top Bottom