How big of a coop/run for 70 birds?

bwaak

Chirping
Jan 31, 2023
New England
Hi! We sell eggs like hot cakes so we ordered 50 chicks to add onto our 25 bird flock in the summer. We are building a new coop with a large covered run and dedicated free ranging space. The town permits a 200 sq ft building without a permit so we are planning to build a 12x16 coop with an attached covered run that is approximately 40x20, and we are also fencing in a huge space next to the run for them to free range (not sure exact dimensions yet but it is huge).

We're building 20 nest boxes and providing enough roost space for each bird to have 1 ft of space. The coop would basically be for sleeping and laying eggs :)

Do you think having access to a large free range area and covered run makes up for the smaller coop? I'll have about 50/50 small/large breeds.

I think you're going to have to get a permit.
Does that include carports or hoop coops?
That's about 3sq foot per bird, which is OK, but not ideal for that volume of birds.
Calculate 14-16" per roost space per bird.
You need 1sqfoot of ventilation per bird and I'm not sure it's possible with a coop that size unless the wall don't go all the way up?

That's about 3sq foot per bird, which is OK, but not ideal for that volume of birds.
You need 1sqfoot of ventilation per bird and I'm not sure it's possible with a coop that size unless the wall don't go all the way up?
For my town laws our understanding is that the run won't require a permit even if it's attached to the building. It's not the end of the world if we have to get one but we would need professionally engineered plans.

That is good to know about the ventilation, the person building is planning on putting in a slanted roof with a 4-6 inch gap between the roof and top of the walls, and add in those plastic ventilation slits on all 4 walls. The 4-6 inch gap is what we have in our current coop and we think that works well.

Would 50 birds fit the space better?

For my town laws our understanding is that the run won't require a permit even if it's attached to the building. It's not the end of the world if we have to get one but we would need professionally engineered plans.

That is good to know about the ventilation, the person building is planning on putting in a slanted roof with a 4-6 inch gap between the roof and top of the walls, and add in those plastic ventilation slits on all 4 walls. The 4-6 inch gap is what we have in our current coop and we think that works well.

Would 50 birds fit the space better?
I'm talking about the coop only but your run size is OK, plus that possible extension would be nice. Does your county limit out buildings? Ours has the same limit so people have 2 or 3 out buildings to get away with it.
12x16 for 75 birds is just a bit under 3ft per bird, like I said, it's OK and probably won't matter.

I'm talking about the coop only but your run size is OK, plus that possible extension would be nice. Does your county limit out buildings? Ours has the same limit so people have 2 or 3 out buildings to get away with it.
12x16 for 75 birds is just a bit under 3ft per bird, like I said, it's OK and probably won't matter.
Thanks, there are limitations but we are on agricultural land which has many exemptions.

I just reread your first post - I'm only familiar with the agricultural land use rules not strictly residential, they allow for up to a 200 sq ft wooden structure with no permit, any larger you need a permit, there are NO size restrictions for hoop houses or high tunnels, unless you put them up on shipping containers, then they require a permit. In the future we are building a cow hoop house that will be up on concrete blocks, none of that will require a permit because we are on ag land, but it would require a permit to build a wooden barn. There are some rules for metal or plastic structures, like if you were to convert a plastic shed into a coop, but I'm not familiar with those.

The number of buildings isn't restricted for us, the building inspector specifically said we could have 50 small buildings and there's nothing they can do about it

We sell eggs like hot cakes so we ordered 50 chicks to add onto our 25 bird flock in the summer.
'Course you know egg prices are coming down and fed prices are not

Do you think having access to a large free range area and covered run makes up for the smaller coop?
It might....
until they go to roost, RoostTimeRumble is usually the most contentious part of a chickens day.
...but it often isn't.

The covered run might be a place for them to roost, if it's totally predator proof and your climate is mild.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1678025502344.png

Agreed. My chicks are free range but the actual coop and home needs to be to spec for the birds. They go in every night. So Each bird needs 1-4 sq feet I believe. Don’t cram them they’ll be unhappy and unhealthy.
Good luck for that many chickens you’ll need a very large house!

Agreed. My chicks are free range but the actual coop and home needs to be to spec for the birds. They go in every night. So Each bird needs 1-4 sq feet I believe. Don’t cram them they’ll be unhappy and unhealthy.
Good luck for that many chickens you’ll need a very large house!
Thank you! We are looking for ways to improve the building plans and make sure the chickens have enough room & ventilation. At the end of the day if we can't make it work with that many, I know plenty of people who'd buy pullets from me! :D

'Course you know egg prices are coming down and fed prices are not

It might....
until they go to roost, RoostTimeRumble is usually the most contentious part of a chickens day.
...but it often isn't.

The covered run might be a place for them to roost, if it's totally predator proof and your climate is mild.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3422198
Thanks, I added my location. Good advice, I'm also checking out the ventilation & other links in your signature.

Back
Top Bottom