How big of a run for 15 chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blessedmamato3, Aug 24, 2011.

1. blessedmamato3

blessedmamato3 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    I'm planning on free ranging them, but want to make the run the right size in case I can't. How many square feet per bird?

Thanks!

2. TeePants

TeePants Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    I think the general rule of thumb for runs is ~10sqft per bird, with 3sqft per bird roosting space. At least, that's what I've read.

3. ALRwild

ALRwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Idaho
    Quote:I agree.

4. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    Go as big as you can. I made my run 12x16ft for 15 birds and I still have pecking issues with 11 birds now. I don't free range. My coop is 8x8. All my birds are healthy, just a little feather pecked.

5. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    150 square feet but I would go bigger with chicken math

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If you KNOW you're going to free range most of the time (taking into consideration times you may be out of town, or may need to keep them penned for other reasons) , then 150 sq. ft. would work fine. That way you won't feel too badly for them during those few contained times. But if there's a possibility that you won't be able to free range, then go much bigger, as large as you can. If you really think about it, 10 sq. ft is just a little bigger than a 3x3 space each, which really isn't much.

7. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    my run is 12 x 45' and coop is 8 x 10', with 11 chickens they have plenty of room.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by