How Big of Coop

zbirds

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 30, 2014
Upstate SC
I am planning on getting 15 standard size chickens. I was wondering how big the coop needs to be and how many nesting boxes I would need to have.
D.gif

I think it makes a big difference whether they'll be out to free range by day, or at least, have a large turnout pen.

My coop is on the small side, but they're only in it at night. Let out first thing to run all day.

So what will your daytime setting be? :)

Last edited:
Most people will tell you to have 4 sq feet per bird, so you want your coop to be somewhere around 8x8, and your run at least 12x12. Personally I would go as big as you have room and budget for, as you will find you may want to add more chickens, ducks, guineas etc. When you build your coop, plan for where you will store your feed, tools etc. It make it very handy to have them right near where you need them.

For nesting boxes, I would go with 3-4 depending on how much room you have. I have 5 for 18 hens, and they only use 2-3 on any given day, and it changes from day to day which box they use. But it does not hurt to have one or two extra.

When was the last time anyone walked out to anything farm or garden and said "gee I wish I wouldn't have built this so big?" :)

It's always too small... ;)

Especially when it comes to chickens!

I'm also familiar with the oft quoted "minimum standards" of 4 square feet per bird in the coop and 10 in the run. And I also think those are incredibly small spaces for chickens. It's all great and good, until it isn't and maybe birds get stressed and start pecking each other. Those things are far easier prevented them solved. Chickens are naturally busy birds and the more room you can give them the better. They may be flock animals but they also need room to get away from each other when they've had enough.

Basically, you'll not likely to be sorry that you went bigger rather then smaller but the opposite happens a lot.

Especially when it comes to chickens!

I'm also familiar with the oft quoted "minimum standards" of 4 square feet per bird in the coop and 10 in the run. And I also think those are incredibly small spaces for chickens. It's all great and good, until it isn't and maybe birds get stressed and start pecking each other. Those things are far easier prevented them solved. Chickens are naturally busy birds and the more room you can give them the better. They may be flock animals but they also need room to get away from each other when they've had enough.

Basically, you'll not likely to be sorry that you went bigger rather then smaller but the opposite happens a lot.

X1000

I know that pain all to well. I am having to redo my entire set up. It is expensive and a real pain because I have to have somewhere to put the girls while I tear down and redo.

Bigger to begin with is much easier and better than beat up hens and empty pockets.

he.gif

Last edited:
I think it makes a big difference whether they'll be out to free range by day, or at least, have a large turnout pen. 

My coop is on the small side, but they're only in it at night.  Let out first thing to run all day.

So what will your daytime setting be? :)
They will be free range during the day

Back
Top Bottom