1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How Big Should a Chicken Run Be?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by thecoopbuilder, May 28, 2012.

1. thecoopbuilder

thecoopbuilder Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2012
    I am still new to building chicken coops, I have only been building them for a been building them for a month now. I am wondering how big does my runs need to be per square foot for my chickens. I have a photo example of 2 different types of runs I built that are 3ftx5ft run. These coops hold 4-6 chickens. Is there a certain square foot requirement for 4-6 chicken coop run?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks for your help

Mike
    Coop Builder
    uppervalleybuilders.biz
    Cedar City, UT

2. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    10 sq feet of floor space per chicken for non-free range chickens is the minimum I believe.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  3. 7quails3chicken

7quails3chicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    You can make them as big as you want,what you got is much bigger and nicer then market chicken's would be in "RIP"[​IMG]Looks like you did a very good job I love your coop's the first one I would only put like 2 but that's just me because I like lots of room for my chick's but the sec one look's like it can hold 4-6 depending on the size of your birds ^o^ grate job really really pretty coop's [​IMG]

4. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Those are really nice Mike
    The barn shaped one is really different,Looksl ike a doll house
    Is it a tractor coop?.

5. crchickens

crchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Blue Ridge, TX
    What kind of fencing did you use on the run? Chicken wire is not predator proof, but I can't tell what you used from the picture. Nice job~~ they are pretty coops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by