How big should coop be for 25 hens??

Barefoot93

Hatching
Feb 1, 2024
Math is not my strong suit. I'm wanting to get a flock of about 25. I've read the info about 4 sq. Ft per bird in the coop and 10 sq. Ft in the run... Here's the issue. I need simple clear answers with no extra math required. I do plan to let them free range from time to time and most likely will end up building a chunnel with fresh herbs and flowers next to it for treats. But I want to build a coop and run to go with it that'wont cause problems when its raining or I'm not able to let them free range. So please give me some clear cut feet measurements that I can use as a guide for my build planning please and thank you!! I tried looking at the coop designs but unfortunately very few actually included the size of their flock.

I would say 120 square feet. I keep about 22 birds in a little over 100 square feet coop, with a one acre yard. Unless they will be free ranging 24/7 you need almost a fifty by fifty run, at least, or they will just ruin it and it won’t be worth it.

The minimum sq ft of coop space would be 100sq ft, the minimum for the run would be 250sq ft. It would be the 4sq ft per coop and 10sq ft per run, per chicken. You don't really want less space than that for each bird, and more the better.
You may want to go with something like a 10'×12' coop, which would give each bird 6.4sq ft of space.
For the run I'd have at least 350sq ft of space, which would give each bird 14sq ft.

Also, roughly where are you located? That's important to help decide on coop and run space.

no extra math required
It's really not about math but trying to provide the best environment for the birds. The larger the flock, the more important they have adequate space for health and psychological reasons.
free range from time to time
Think of this as how often prisoners are let out into the yard. You want them to have as much access to the earth, grass, sun and fresh air as possible, which ideally is during all waking hours. The compromises here are: how much space for you vs. how much for the flock, keeping them contained to your property and predator protection.

There are more things to consider than just plain numbers. Once you lay out a space for X number of birds based on your math equation, you see how very small that space actually is and realize, it should be bigger. MUCH bigger.

Back
Top Bottom