How big should my nest boxes be?

littlelemon

Songster
12 Years
Mar 15, 2007
Ohio
Our coop is done except for the roosts and nest boxes. I have an old fruit crate that I am going to use for one next box-it's about 24"X18". I also have two milk crates that I can use, but I am worried that they may be too small. I haven't measured them, but I believe they may only be about 12"X12". Would this small size deter the hen from setting in it?

How big of a next box would you recommend in your experience?

Oh, and how thick are your roosts? Everything I have read has said 2", but the 2" dowels we have just look HUGE.

I used 2x4's with the 4 inch side flat for the roosts. I read in colder climates it helps the chickens be able to sit on their feet and keep warm.
I would think a 2 inch round would be too big for them to hold onto??? not sure on that one.

For standards I read to do nestboxes at 14x14, but 12x12 isn't much smaller. Hope that helps.

Quote:
These are my nesting boxes right after I built them.
P8200033a.jpg

Each box is 12"X12"X12", and I have found as many as three hens piled into one, with several other boxes open and available. The roost mounted on the front is a ripped 2X4, with the cut side down (rounded corner factory side up). The lip on the front is a 3" wide piece of left over T-111 from the coop.

very nice! Are you going to mount these to the inside wall of the coop? I made the ones that hang sort of outside the coop so i dont need to go inside to get the eggs out...just lift up the lid.

Quote:
I mounted them to the back wall studs just like the way you'd hang kitchen cabinets, pretty much the way they sat in the picture. There is room for another set of four boxes above the two I already did, just in case there are some "additions". Right now that area is fenced in to keep them off the top of the boxes. I got the idea from another website, but I can't remember the URL. I did see the designs for boxes that you can get to from outside the coop, but we'd need to use a ladder wedged in between another fence on our setup. Also, I'm not a fan of having the exterior walls "breached" with any extra openings. That's just me. This way, our chickens will interact with us personally on a continuing basis, by us entering the coop daily.

You will find that birds usually like the same nest box. Go figure.

As a result, I make some of mine about 12x24 or longer. It gives them some room to nest together without being overly crowded. It also helps a little in the summer heat.

Back
Top Bottom