How can an egg break inside a duck?

Moments

Songster
Jun 17, 2023
I have someone Swedish ducks that have happened probably over a month now and I've started laying again after coming to our home. The previous owner said that they're laying had so slow down probably a month early so I wasn't really expecting a lot of eggs or laying regularly a considering we're in Vermont and the days are getting shorter and it's getting cooler and so on. They hadn't laid until last Thursday and I figured it was besides the weather changing also possibly due to stress of a new environment. I checked their feet last night and notice signs of possible bumblefoot so I'm treating that with a spray, I started last night. Because they're from a large flock they haven't had a lot of hands on so they're pretty skittish when it comes to me doing a check on them physical contact. I usually keep them in till about 9: 00am so that if they have any Lane to do hopefully it's in there coop. I went in and saw an egg this morning and decided it would be a good time to check their feet so that I could put the spray on and let it dry before they went outside. They are pretty stressed and kind of put up a fight when I'm trying to check their feet. It's not a huge process to get a hold of them but sometimes they fight a bit once I have them until I get them in the proper position. I'm wondering if it's possible during the struggle which isn't too intense but eggs are fragile, if an egg could break inside her while going through this process. I'm also open to suggestions on ways to check skittish ducks to make the process more efficient and less stressful for them. They seem to be walking fine and getting around so I'm hoping that means all is well.

it shouldn’t , if the shells are strong enough. do they get enough calcium to have hard shells or do they lay soft shells sometimes? i feed my ducks mazuri waterfowl maintenance and also they eat nutura all flock pellets and have flaked oyster shell in a bowl on the side they eat lots of it to get their calcium needs met .

it shouldn’t , if the shells are strong enough. do they get enough calcium to have hard shells or do they lay soft shells sometimes? i feed my ducks mazuri waterfowl maintenance and also they eat nutura all flock pellets and have flaked oyster shell in a bowl on the side they eat lots of it to get their calcium needs met .
Okay! They get oyster flakes offered with their feed and seem to be eating them well. All of their shells have been super hard so no soft shells.

Back
Top Bottom